Old 22-10-2002, 05:37 PM
anton

Default Apples again

Alison wrote in message ...
All this talk of apples and thoughts turning to planting and -wha' d'you
know - Andy Sturgeon has an article in the Daily Mail Weekend magazine all
about apples. Well *some* about apples. He mentioned a variety called
"Alison's Orange" and I'd like to track down a supplier. I've tried
Brogdale's website to no avail. Anyone know anything about this variety?

Ellison's Orange, I'm afraid. Joan Morgan's book says:
"At best glorious, with intense rich aromatic quality and
taste of aniseed.....remains popular garden variety, esp in
North of England."
Attractive blossom, flowers just after Cox.

--
Anton

Old 22-10-2002, 05:46 PM
Big Al

Alison wrote on Tue 22 Oct 2002 11:44:34p :

All this talk of apples and thoughts turning to planting and -wha'
d'you know - Andy Sturgeon has an article in the Daily Mail Weekend
magazine all about apples. Well *some* about apples. He mentioned a
variety called "Alison's Orange" and I'd like to track down a
supplier. I've tried Brogdale's website to no avail. Anyone know
anything about this variety?

Bad news I'm afraid - I think you/he must have misheard/remembered a
reference to "Ellison's Orange". It's certainly available from
Brogdale's Plant Centre, and it should be reasonably easy to get hold of
from other good suppliers eg

http://www.fruittree.co.uk/product.asp?id=ELLORA

Still a good apple, even if it's not got your name on it ;-) You might
like to peruse the big Brogdale lists at
http://www.nfc.u-net.com/Catalogs.htm - there's certainly an Alice
apple, don't know if you'll have any joy in the other fruit
Old 22-10-2002, 07:11 PM
Rod

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...
All this talk of apples and thoughts turning to planting and -wha' d'you
know - Andy Sturgeon has an article in the Daily Mail Weekend magazine all
about apples. Well *some* about apples. He mentioned a variety called
"Alison's Orange" and I'd like to track down a supplier. I've tried
Brogdale's website to no avail. Anyone know anything about this variety?

It's Ellison's Orange a nice apple early/ mid season - unique flavour that
may not suit all modern tastes. Tender flesh doesn't keep or travel well.

Rod