Old 22-10-2002, 08:10 PM
subbykins{Chrd}

Default Blackthorn and sloe crops

We got hold of some lovely cheap gin this year and wanted to make sloe
gin. However, we live in the London area and they seem to be over
here, as though we did find some blackthorn there was the sum total of
three berries on it.

We have said berries, but I have two questions for all you lovely
people:

1. Are the sloes really over for the season now or were we just
unlucky in your opinion and should persevere?
2. Would planting the three we've found be inviting disaster, I have
read that blackthorn is very pervasive and hard to control, if that's
the case can it be grown in a pot and still produce sloes?

Many thanks in advance for any responses from yet another clueless
newbie... I do think I can get to like this gardening thing!

"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Old 28-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Nick Wagg

subbykins{Chrd} wrote:

1. Are the sloes really over for the season now or were we just
unlucky in your opinion and should persevere?

They shouldn't be over yet. For sloe gin it is usual to leave them
on the bush until after the first frost, which means that you don't
have to prick them all over. Plenty of sloes here in Cambridgeshire
and there were tons in Cornwall last week. Just go for a walk outside
the M25 and you should find some.
--
Nick Wagg
TranscenData Europe Ltd, Oakington House, Oakington, Cambridge CB4 5AF
Old 28-10-2002, 05:27 PM
Janet Sanderson

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
subbykins{Chrd} wrote:

For sloe gin it is usual to leave them
on the bush until after the first frost, which means that you don't
have to prick them all over.

I still prick them. Someone once told me to deep freeze
them so you don't have to prick them, but the flavour
was not as good.

Plenty of sloes here in Cambridgeshire

Loads here in North Yorks too

the M25 and you should find some.

Make sure you wash them well though!

Happy drinking!
Janet

[IBC] Blackthorn/Sloe in US. Robert Kieffer Bonsai 3 18-08-2005 03:04 PM
Blackthorn bulldurham73 United Kingdom 4 20-02-2005 10:09 PM
[IBC] Blackthorn/Sloe in US. Robert Kieffer Bonsai 0 09-01-2005 12:59 PM
Prunus spinosa (aka Blackthorn, Sloe) in Tasmania or Victoria Richard Wright Australia 0 20-07-2004 02:15 PM
Sign petition to USDA to protect crops from being fertilized by pollen from GMO pharm. crops CaringIsTheFirstStep Edible Gardening 4 07-05-2003 05:08 AM