Old 23-10-2002, 11:40 AM
Natalie

Default Salix Kilmarnock Willow

"Natalie" wrote in message
om...
I have one in my garden that stands about 5ft high and looks like a
'bad hair day' most of the time. My intention is to move it to the
grass area in the Infant Playground at school, where the children can
enjoy playing under it next year.

Should I wait until it has dropped all its leaves before transplanting
or can I do it this week?

Natalie

Well...should I wait? Will it do any harm if I move it this week???

The weather forecast for my area is good on Saturday and our school will be
open, so it will be an ideal time to do it.

TIA

Natalie

Old 24-10-2002, 09:24 AM
Natalie

The usual advice is to wait until the leaves drop as a sign that it's
dormant, but that can't be far off.

You perhaps just need to be all the more careful that you get up a good
amount of soil with it so that it hardly knows it's moving. My guess is
that the root spread might be considerable though if it's five feet
tall. How long has it been in the ground?

Janet G

It was planted about 2 years ago. As a grafted tree it was 5ft tall when I
first got it. I didn't realise how much the canopy would grow...it is far
too big for the position.

Natalie

Old 27-10-2002, 08:53 AM
Mike

In article , Natalie
writes

The usual advice is to wait until the leaves drop as a sign that it's
dormant, but that can't be far off.

You perhaps just need to be all the more careful that you get up a good
amount of soil with it so that it hardly knows it's moving. My guess is
that the root spread might be considerable though if it's five feet
tall. How long has it been in the ground?

Janet G

It was planted about 2 years ago. As a grafted tree it was 5ft tall when I
first got it. I didn't realise how much the canopy would grow...it is far
too big for the position.

Natalie

We had 2 of them and found, a) they were not all that attractive 'in a
border', and b) they blew over very easily so got rid of them both. A
friend down the road has one and that is leaning all over the place.
(Laying flat this morning I expect with this wind)

Mike
O ruddier than the cherry, O sweeter than the berry,
O nymph more bright, than moonshine night,
like kidlings blithe and merry.
John Gay 1685 - 1732

Old 27-10-2002, 09:11 AM
Natalie

We had 2 of them and found, a) they were not all that attractive 'in a
border', and b) they blew over very easily so got rid of them both. A
friend down the road has one and that is leaning all over the place.
(Laying flat this morning I expect with this wind)

Mike

I dug it up on Thursday; before I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle
:-(

Kris, my husband, took it up to school on Friday before having a nasty
accident in his van. (Fortunately, he is OK but his van is a right off
:-(( )

Yesterday Kris and I went up to school and planted the tree. I'm going up
to school shortly to plant some bulbs and do some tidying up. Hope I won't
find the tree uprooted!

Natalie

Old 27-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Mike

In article , Natalie
writes

We had 2 of them and found, a) they were not all that attractive 'in a
border', and b) they blew over very easily so got rid of them both. A
friend down the road has one and that is leaning all over the place.
(Laying flat this morning I expect with this wind)

Mike

I dug it up on Thursday; before I fell down the stairs and sprained my ankle
:-(

THAT hurts. :-(( Take it steady and don't run a Marathon for a couple
of days.

Kris, my husband, took it up to school on Friday before having a nasty
accident in his van. (Fortunately, he is OK but his van is a right off
:-(( )

:-(( Oh dear. The van is only a 'material thing' and can be replaced.

Yesterday Kris and I went up to school and planted the tree. I'm going up
to school shortly to plant some bulbs and do some tidying up. Hope I won't
find the tree uprooted!

We ended up by driving a scaffold pole into the ground to support ours.
Wood is a waste of time. But it was it's unruly 'Beetle Haircut' we had
to give the damn things every year which really put us off them. They
are nice for a while, but 'the while' is not very long :-((

Old 27-10-2002, 09:29 AM
Natalie

We had 2 of them and found, a) they were not all that attractive 'in a
border', and b) they blew over very easily so got rid of them both. A
friend down the road has one and that is leaning all over the place.
(Laying flat this morning I expect with this wind)

Mike

I dug it up on Thursday; before I fell down the stairs and sprained my

ankle
:-(

THAT hurts. :-(( Take it steady and don't run a Marathon for a couple
of days.

Wasn't planning to do that ever ;-))

Kris, my husband, took it up to school on Friday before having a nasty
accident in his van. (Fortunately, he is OK but his van is a right off
:-(( )

:-(( Oh dear. The van is only a 'material thing' and can be replaced.

Yes...but at great expense. Kris's van was old but extremely well kept -
the price the insurance company will offer won't reflect its true value.

Yesterday Kris and I went up to school and planted the tree. I'm going

up
to school shortly to plant some bulbs and do some tidying up. Hope I

won't
find the tree uprooted!

We ended up by driving a scaffold pole into the ground to support ours.
Wood is a waste of time. But it was it's unruly 'Beetle Haircut' we had
to give the damn things every year which really put us off them. They
are nice for a while, but 'the while' is not very long :-((

It already looked much better planted as a specimen in the grass. I'm sure
the children will enjoy playing under/with it next Spring.

Natalie

Old 27-10-2002, 06:00 PM
ned

"Natalie" wrote in message

I dug it up on Thursday; before I fell down the stairs and sprained

my ankle
:-(

Kris, my husband, took it up to school on Friday before having a

nasty
accident in his van. (Fortunately, he is OK but his van is a right

off
:-(( )

Do you think the Gods were trying to tell you something? :-))

--
ned

Old 27-10-2002, 06:11 PM
Natalie

I dug it up on Thursday; before I fell down the stairs and sprained

my ankle
:-(

Kris, my husband, took it up to school on Friday before having a

nasty
accident in his van. (Fortunately, he is OK but his van is a right

off
:-(( )

Do you think the Gods were trying to tell you something? :-))

Nope...don't believe in them....but we are waiting for the third thing to
happen ;-)

Natalie

Old 30-10-2002, 09:52 AM
DaveDay34

Do you think the Gods were trying to tell you something? :-))

Nope...don't believe in them....but we are waiting for the third thing to
happen ;-)

Natalie

One man's superstition is another man's religion?

Dave.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:12 PM
Mike Lyle

Default Kilmarnock willow

Subject: kilamrnock willow
From: "Seven"

Date: 05/09/2003 20:57 GMT Daylight Time
Hello all,

I saw this willow on a website recently and really wanted one, I live in the
north east of Scotland and get a lot of snow in the winter and wondered if
anyone had this tree that lived in a similar climate.

I find a lot of plants don't survive the winter here (

Ah the Killie Willie, tough as old boots really. It should survive just about
anywhere really.

Agreed: they're a variety of the hedgerow goat willow ("pussy willow")
which is so annoying if you want to make a good thorn hedge, and very
hardy. (Note that birches, "birks" in Scots, are very hardy: in the
wild they're about the highest trees on mountains, and they must be
among the most beautiful trees on earth; there is a lovely weeping
form your nurseryman will get for you if he hasn't got it in stock.)

Why not keep your eyes open and see if you can see some around? --
it's quite hard to judge just from a website. You may not like it as
much in the flesh, as it really is a strange thing. If you do like it,
remember that it will never make a tall tree -- which may be an
advantage for you.

My ex has one in her front garden which is perhaps twenty years old,
and no more than about eight feet high at the most. Weeping trees make
height very slowly, of course, but I think this may be about the
maximum for this one. I've always itched to get into it with the
secateurs and pruning saw, as I theorize that it would make a
wonderful den for children if pruned from the *inside* to keep the
inner space free. Not that our children, aged from 18 to 27, would be
all that interested (but I suppose it might be a good place for
students to smoke whacky baccy); but -- who knows? -- there could be
grandchildren one day!

I'd also be tempted to grow a good hardy clematis over it; but am not
perfectly confident that the clematis would let enough light in for
the willow's leaves to thrive, and unless tediously tidied it could
look an awful mess in winter.

Note. We've been discussing willows as a menace to houses and drains
recently: maybe somebody can contradict me, but I don't think this
kind of willow is a problem.

Mike.
Old 06-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Seven

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
om...

From: "Seven"

Date: 05/09/2003 20:57 GMT Daylight Time
[...]

I like the weeping willows, but they grow much to big for my liking, I
wanted the Kilmarnock for a centrepiece in the lawn, so don't want it to
grow too tall, the info on the website said it would grow about 2 metres,
just the right size I want. I am not sure I have seen a Kilmarnock willow
in the flesh, but have seen similar trees and just love them.