Old 23-10-2002, 12:22 PM
Jane Ransom

Default Scarifying

In article , Peter
writes
I know that you should scarify a lawn in the Autumn or in the Spring,

I wonder where you heard that?
We always thought you should scarify a lawn only when the grass is
growing strongly ie late spring to early autumn - taking into account
local growing conditions!!!!

but
when is it too late, in the Autumn to do this and why.

We never do it before May or after September because that is when the
grass is not growing and can't recover from any damage you cause it in
the scarifying process.

I am able to hire a
scarifier for the end of October.

Don't do it, Peter!
Don't do it until next May at least.
Then after a couple of weeks, give it a feed.
Then repeat the process once every 6 weeks or so through the summer.
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 23-10-2002, 12:32 PM
PaulK

"Peter" wrote in message
I know that you should scarify a lawn in the Autumn or in the Spring, but
when is it too late, in the Autumn to do this and why. I am able to hire a
scarifier for the end of October.

When? Well that depends!

Why? Because after scarifying the grass needs to recover and regrow - if the
weather is too cold it will not grow and may be further damaged by the
winter weather.

pk

Old 24-10-2002, 06:40 AM
Tumbleweed

"Steve" wrote in message

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message

We never do it before May or after September because that is when the
grass is not growing and can't recover from any damage you cause it in
the scarifying process.

Here in the north west, the grass often continues growing well into
November.

And it does here in the South, some years it grows throughout the winter,
but I think that is more existing grass, rather than new stuff germinating,
or encroaching onto bare earth. And there is very little chance that grass
seed will germinate. So its not the best or even the second best time of
year to do it.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 24-10-2002, 09:32 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Steve
writes

I certainly am not going to risk it . . remember the time when we had a
-10 frost at the beginning of October!!!!!

Risk what?

Scafifying after the end of September, of course ))))

Old 24-10-2002, 09:56 PM
DaveDay34

Early September is the best time to scarify. This is the time when grass
produces side shoots and scarifying produces enough space for this growth to
take place.

Scarifying in spring damages new growth.

Scarifying can be undertaken from late spring throughout the summer to remove
moss that has been killed off by the use of lawn sand or a proprietary moss
killer.

Though some people may be able to get away with scarifying at various times of
the year the above are the generally accepted rules by those who look after
lawns on a professional basis (luxury/show lawns as opposed to utility/amenity
lawns).

If in doubt, leave well alone. Thatch is unlikely to do any real damage in the
next few months, or even the next year. The removal of moss and weeds, and the
occasional feed will do far more for your lawn than scarifying.

All the best,

Dave.

Old 25-10-2002, 08:51 AM
Peter

Thank you all for you advice, much appreciated.

Peter

---

Old 26-10-2002, 09:10 PM
hugh

In article , Peter
writes
Thank you all for you advice, much appreciated.

Peter

And I should ignore most of it. The critical questions a
1. Is the lawn so wet that working on it or moving machinery across it
would damage it?
2. Are frosts imminent?
If the answer to both is no then I would go ahead and scarify. Getting
rid of moss and dead grass (thatch) will do more good than harm. Grass
is very resilient although it will look a bit of a mess for a while if
you can't get on it later to cut it - see points 1 and 2 above again.
--
hugh
Old 27-10-2002, 11:24 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , hugh
] writes
And I should ignore most of it. The critical questions a
1. Is the lawn so wet that working on it or moving machinery across it
would damage it?
2. Are frosts imminent?
If the answer to both is no then I would go ahead and scarify. Getting
rid of moss and dead grass (thatch) will do more good than harm. Grass
is very resilient although it will look a bit of a mess for a while if
you can't get on it later to cut it - see points 1 and 2 above again.

You have two choices -
1. do it now if above conditions are met
2. wait until next spring

The results of either will not be apparent until next summer.

I think the results will be better if you wait until next spring.

You could always try an experiment for us.
Do half your lawn now, and half next spring and let us know if there is
any difference next summer )))))))))))))

Old 28-10-2002, 08:20 AM
Peter

[...]

I have taken your earlier advice. I was thinking that the end of October was
too late myself, I would probably do it if I was doing it by hand, but
machines tend to be a bit vicious. There is a lot of moss in some areas and
I think it would look like a field of mud over the Winter if it is scarified
now. It will need reseeding in areas, so April/May it is.

I would experiment if it was my lawn!

Thanks,
Peter

---

Old 28-10-2002, 09:12 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Peter
writes

I have taken your earlier advice. I was thinking that the end of October was
too late myself, I would probably do it if I was doing it by hand, but
machines tend to be a bit vicious. There is a lot of moss in some areas and
I think it would look like a field of mud over the Winter if it is scarified
now. It will need reseeding in areas, so April/May it is.

The problem with reseeding is matching up the type of grass in the lawn.
We could never do it so when we moved here we didn't bother to reseed.
You would be surprised how quickly, with a little lawn food, the bare
patches fill in

I would experiment if it was my lawn!

I couldn't have read your previous posts properly - I didn't realise it
wasn't your lawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 28-10-2002, 02:47 PM
hugh

In article , Jane Ransom
writes
In article , hugh
] writes
And I should ignore most of it. The critical questions a
1. Is the lawn so wet that working on it or moving machinery across it
would damage it?
2. Are frosts imminent?
If the answer to both is no then I would go ahead and scarify. Getting
rid of moss and dead grass (thatch) will do more good than harm. Grass
is very resilient although it will look a bit of a mess for a while if
you can't get on it later to cut it - see points 1 and 2 above again.

You have two choices -
1. do it now if above conditions are met
2. wait until next spring

Do not scarify in the spring - the grass does not produce side shoots at
this stage and so scarifying will open up the turf and make it
vulnerable to weed invasion.
--
hugh
Old 29-10-2002, 11:33 AM
Peter

[...]

Jane, I don't think I let on about it not being my lawn! My lawn was
scarified in Sept, by hand, as it is every year. I do some gardening work
part time. I did the RHS General Cert. but there is so much to learn! What I
find frustrating about the gardening programmes on TV is that they tell you
what to do, but often go into little detail of why. When I did the course,
it was a real eye-opener! What I love about gardening is that you can
usually redeem your mistakes, or at least learn from them without getting
the sack! Scarify in Sept? Scarify in October? The lawn aint gonna die!

Peter

---

Scarifying Halmyre United Kingdom 0 02-05-2006 12:08 PM
Baterial scarifying - again! Robert United Kingdom 0 30-06-2004 12:08 AM
scarifying with bacteria Robert United Kingdom 0 20-06-2004 10:01 PM
Scarifying with Bacteria: question Robert United Kingdom 1 16-06-2004 03:13 PM
feeding and seeding after scarifying squishy United Kingdom 2 28-05-2003 09:44 AM