Old 06-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Mike B

Default Lily Of The Valley - Planting Advice Sought

Hi all,

I've come by two clumps of Lily Of The Valley "bulbs". Can anyone advise me
as the best way and place to plant these. I'm short of space in the garden,
so would pots be OK?

Cheers in advance.
Mike

Old 06-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike B wrote:

I've come by two clumps of Lily Of The Valley "bulbs". Can anyone advise me
as the best way and place to plant these. I'm short of space in the garden,
so would pots be OK?

Not really. If you have a damp place where you don't mind them
running riot, that is ideal. They will quite happily coexist with
shrubs, but are as invasive and hard to get rid of as ground elder.
They don't need any direct sun - in fact, they prefer shade.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:48 PM
ex WGS Hamm

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike B wrote:

I've come by two clumps of Lily Of The Valley "bulbs". Can anyone advise

me
as the best way and place to plant these. I'm short of space in the

garden,
so would pots be OK?

Not really. If you have a damp place where you don't mind them
running riot, that is ideal. They will quite happily coexist with
shrubs, but are as invasive and hard to get rid of as ground elder.
They don't need any direct sun - in fact, they prefer shade.

This makes me weep. I love lily of the valley and several times have
planted bulbs in my damp corner. Nothing has ever grown. Seems I am the kiss
of death to these plants.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Sacha

On 6/11/04 17:13, in article , "Mike B"
wrote:

Hi all,

I've come by two clumps of Lily Of The Valley "bulbs". Can anyone advise me
as the best way and place to plant these. I'm short of space in the garden,
so would pots be OK?

Wherever you plant them they will either flourish or die or migrate to a
place in which they are happy. The latter seems to be not full sun and
gravel. I love them to bits and have never, ever managed to grow them.
I've planted and struggled with the white and the pink ones and every single
time they have died on me. But several friends of mine who have planted
them tidily in flower beds have found that they have moved themselves in a
very determined fashion to gravel paths and are just about swamping them!
I don't agree with those who suggest damp areas for planting but that's just
my personal experience of them.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 07-11-2004, 09:24 AM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
wrote:

Hi all,

I've come by two clumps of Lily Of The Valley "bulbs". Can anyone advise me
as the best way and place to plant these. I'm short of space in the garden,
so would pots be OK?

Wherever you plant them they will either flourish or die or migrate to a
place in which they are happy. The latter seems to be not full sun and
gravel. I love them to bits and have never, ever managed to grow them.
I've planted and struggled with the white and the pink ones and every single
time they have died on me. But several friends of mine who have planted
them tidily in flower beds have found that they have moved themselves in a
very determined fashion to gravel paths and are just about swamping them!
I don't agree with those who suggest damp areas for planting but that's just
my personal experience of them.

They grow well around here in heavy clay. I have three patches, one
which has always been there and is spreading slightly which is in semi
shade, and two spreading patches, one under a whitebeam, and the other
under a magnolia and a willow. They're all ignoring the nearby gravel
paths.

They seem to like bare soil, somewhere where they can be the only ground
level plant.
--
Kay

Old 07-11-2004, 09:59 AM

"Mike B" wrote in message
Hi all,

I've come by two clumps of Lily Of The Valley "bulbs". Can anyone advise
me as the best way and place to plant these. I'm short of space in the
garden, so would pots be OK?

Possibly, but if you plant them in the ground you will find they will
always try to travel north, so every now and again you will have to
replant them towards the south.

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Cheers in advance.
Mike

Old 07-11-2004, 11:58 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Wherever you plant them they will either flourish or die or migrate to a
place in which they are happy. The latter seems to be not full sun and
gravel. I love them to bits and have never, ever managed to grow them.
I've planted and struggled with the white and the pink ones and every single
time they have died on me. But several friends of mine who have planted
them tidily in flower beds have found that they have moved themselves in a
very determined fashion to gravel paths and are just about swamping them!
I don't agree with those who suggest damp areas for planting but that's just
my personal experience of them.

Possibly. A damp area on 60% sand in Cambridge is probably equivalent
to a dry area where you are :-)

And the lack of leaf competition could be right, though mine invade
some pretty dense plants. They have never invaded the lawn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-11-2004, 12:58 PM
Sacha

On 7/11/04 11:58, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Wherever you plant them they will either flourish or die or migrate to a
place in which they are happy. The latter seems to be not full sun and
gravel. I love them to bits and have never, ever managed to grow them.
I've planted and struggled with the white and the pink ones and every single
time they have died on me. But several friends of mine who have planted
them tidily in flower beds have found that they have moved themselves in a
very determined fashion to gravel paths and are just about swamping them!
I don't agree with those who suggest damp areas for planting but that's just
my personal experience of them.

Possibly. A damp area on 60% sand in Cambridge is probably equivalent
to a dry area where you are :-)

Just about right! Talk about wilful....

And the lack of leaf competition could be right, though mine invade
some pretty dense plants. They have never invaded the lawn.

I've certainly never seen them growing into a lawn but as I say, I've seen
them growing in gravel many times and also among trees roots in considerable
shade. It's almost as if they want harsh conditions in terms of drainage
but as has been said, no immediate competition of leaf cover. When you talk
of dense plants, I imagine you mean before the leaves come out? I ask
because my ex mil had a mass of the pink ones long before they were at all
well known and they were under a tree and among azaleas, IIRC. When she
gave me a few to try, not one of them even showed so much as a leaf!
However, we're clearing a bed here which borders a gravel path and I'm
determined to give them another go, even though they've let me down in other
areas of this garden, too.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 07-11-2004, 10:48 PM
Rodger Whitlock

Mike B wrote:

I've come by two clumps of Lily Of The Valley "bulbs". Can anyone advise
me as the best way and place to plant these. I'm short of space in the
garden,so would pots be OK?

Not really. If you have a damp place where you don't mind them
running riot, that is ideal. They will quite happily coexist with
shrubs, but are as invasive and hard to get rid of as ground elder.
They don't need any direct sun - in fact, they prefer shade.

This makes me weep. I love lily of the valley and several times have
planted bulbs in my damp corner. Nothing has ever grown. Seems I am the kiss
of death to these plants.

I have LotV in a semi-shaded spot that goes very dry in the summer,
and it does very well there. Perhaps the "damp spot" thing is a myth
of sorts.

However, it is my impression that LotV does need adequate moisture in
the spring.

Some of the other replies have homed in on the idea that it wants no
leaf competition, and that describes mine to a T. Lots of roots in the
soil from adjacent shrubs, trees, and hedges, but no other small fry
to compete in its height class.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, BC, Canada

Arum lily advice sought... Hugh Chaloner United Kingdom 13 14-09-2005 12:21 AM
Lily of the Valley 'Pips' planting advice ZoeM United Kingdom 0 03-04-2005 08:08 PM
Lily of the Valley Gardening 13 25-05-2004 02:03 AM
Lily of the Valley 'pips'? Frogleg Gardening 4 26-04-2004 08:04 PM
Lily of the Valley Leslie Stringer United Kingdom 16 30-09-2003 08:13 PM