GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   doesn't anyone recognise my little flower? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86114-doesnt-anyone-recognise-my-little-flower.html)

Klara 07-11-2004 01:28 PM

doesn't anyone recognise my little flower?

I have asked this recently, but no one seemed to have any ideas; I have
googled and googled with no success... It came from a fete, with no
label.

The flower is a five-pointed star: the flower is lavender from the
front, but it is pure white from the back.

The leaves are narrow, serrated, and they go up the stem, with one
flower at the end of the stem.

It has a lovely scent.

Flowered profusely in a small tub all summer and still has a few blooms
on it.

Any ideas, anyone? I would love to know, at least, whether it's annual
or perennial....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Matthew J.E. Durkin 07-11-2004 01:36 PM

"Klara" wrote in message

I have asked this recently, but no one seemed to have any ideas; I have
googled and googled with no success... It came from a fete, with no label.

The flower is a five-pointed star: the flower is lavender from the front,
but it is pure white from the back.

The leaves are narrow, serrated, and they go up the stem, with one flower
at the end of the stem.

It has a lovely scent.

Flowered profusely in a small tub all summer and still has a few blooms on
it.

Any ideas, anyone? I would love to know, at least, whether it's annual or
perennial....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Can you post a picture?
How high does it grow?
How big are the flowers?
Matt

Pam Moore 07-11-2004 01:46 PM

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:28:04 +0000, Klara wrote:

I have asked this recently, but no one seemed to have any ideas; I have
googled and googled with no success... It came from a fete, with no
label.

The flower is a five-pointed star: the flower is lavender from the
front, but it is pure white from the back.

The leaves are narrow, serrated, and they go up the stem, with one
flower at the end of the stem.

It has a lovely scent.

Flowered profusely in a small tub all summer and still has a few blooms
on it.

Any ideas, anyone? I would love to know, at least, whether it's annual
or perennial....

I have checked my Isotoma again. It fits your description; 5 pointed
lavender-blue flowers with white backs, leaves as you say, but I've
checked again, No scent.

Pam in Bristol

Klara 07-11-2004 02:50 PM

Pam Moore writes
I have checked my Isotoma again. It fits your description; 5 pointed
lavender-blue flowers with white backs, leaves as you say, but I've
checked again, No scent.

Pam in Bristol

You're right! Isotoma (Laurentia) axillaris, I think fantasy blue - and
that does have a scent, though it sounds as if mine is more strongly
scented than they give it credit for, and not just after showers....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Klara 07-11-2004 02:52 PM

In message , Matthew J.E. Durkin
writes
Can you post a picture?
How high does it grow?
How big are the flowers?
Matt

My IT literacy hasn't reached that point yet :(((

But following Pam's lead, I've identified it as an Isotoma axillaris.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Phil L 07-11-2004 04:31 PM

Klara wrote:
:: In message , Matthew J.E.
:: Durkin writes
::: Can you post a picture?
::: How high does it grow?
::: How big are the flowers?
::: Matt
::
:: My IT literacy hasn't reached that point yet :(((
::
:: But following Pam's lead, I've identified it as an Isotoma
:: axillaris.
::

http://snipurl.com/agn1

HTH

Pam Moore 08-11-2004 10:24 PM

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 14:50:05 +0000, Klara wrote:

You're right! Isotoma (Laurentia) axillaris, I think fantasy blue - and
that does have a scent, though it sounds as if mine is more strongly
scented than they give it credit for, and not just after showers....

Klara, I love isotoma, but would love it even more if I could get a
scented one. Where did you get yours?
It's my "must have" for next year.

Pam in Bristol

Klara 09-11-2004 09:29 AM

Pam Moore writes

You're right! Isotoma (Laurentia) axillaris, I think fantasy blue - and
that does have a scent, though it sounds as if mine is more strongly
scented than they give it credit for, and not just after showers....

Klara, I love isotoma, but would love it even more if I could get a
scented one. Where did you get yours?
It's my "must have" for next year.

It's a nursery that doesn't normally sell retail, but they have a tent
for charity at the village fete. So if you can wait until June...

In the meantime, I'll try to harvest some seeds. Email me your address
removing the spam trap, and I'll send them to you.

--
Klara, klara.king@comnospamcrafts