Old 23-10-2002, 04:35 PM
Derek Turner

Default New poster (intro)

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:39:50 +0100, "Adrian_H"
wrote:

Hi all

I read this newsgroup from work, but am not allowed to post from there :-(

Niki and I live in Suffolk (about six miles west of Ipswich in the Gipping
valley).

snip

Just to say welcome to the group! Have a cuppa and a biccie. Thank you
for reading the faqs before posting. Hope you enjoy your gardening and
being an urgler.

--
Derek Turner

The english summer consists of three fine days and a thunderstorm. - Charles II
Old 23-10-2002, 09:36 PM
Adrian_H

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Adrian_H adrian@sowhyno
t.freeserve.co.uk writes
Hi all

snip

Is that the one with Claydon and Needham market?

Could be, but the valley covers a wide area :-)

Thing is, can I lift and transplant these oaks (currently about three

inches
high) to where we want them during this autumn or should I leave them for
now, or what????

Yes, autumn is a good time - any time when they're dormant. You'll find
they'll have an outrageous length of root for their size, so dig
carefully and deeper than you think you'll need to.

Thanks for the info Kay, I assumed that things had to be done during the
dormant stage but was not sure about saplings from 'this season' and
'obviously' didn't realise about the roots.
As an aside, when I was walking the dogs this evening, I found some more
saplings, so will have to decide what to do with all these young Oaks :-)
I probably have enough room for the trees that we have found so far, just
have to find suitable homes for the rest (totally native as 'seeded by the
abundance of wildlife about').

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: