Old 23-10-2002, 07:29 PM
Alison

Default Tomatoes

Has anyone actually tried any of these 'ripening off the plant' techniques,
like putting green tomatoes in a drawer with a ripe banana and hey presto
they're ripe. Or in a warm room (ha-ha in this house). I'm trying the
first but they've been in there for about three weeks with no sign of any
ripening. Hardly any ripened on the plant so I've chopped them all down
today (no chance now that the frosts and snow are here) and have a lovely
harvest of green tomatoes, but that wasn't the original plan. I'd just like
a sanity check.

--A

Old 23-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Mary Fisher

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...
Has anyone actually tried any of these 'ripening off the plant'

techniques,
like putting green tomatoes in a drawer with a ripe banana and hey presto
they're ripe. Or in a warm room (ha-ha in this house). I'm trying the
first but they've been in there for about three weeks with no sign of any
ripening. Hardly any ripened on the plant so I've chopped them all down
today (no chance now that the frosts and snow are here) and have a lovely
harvest of green tomatoes, but that wasn't the original plan. I'd just

like
a sanity check.

--A

What I do when I'm fed up of seeing them on the plant or when the frost is
likely or when I need space for something else is to cut off the tomatoes
and leave them, either on the stems or plucked off, in a basket in the
kitchen.

I pick over them every time I want ripe tomatoes and always find enough.
This way we've had tomatoes at Christmas for years.

The other day, when green tomatoes had split due to heavy rain (and my lack
of watering beforehand) I fried them along with a few red ones, with salt,
pepper and a sprinkling of sugar. They were absolutely delicious!

Mary

Old 23-10-2002, 08:20 PM
Jaffacake

My Mum tried ripening tomatoes with a banana in a paper bag - she read about
it somewhere... however, it didn't work! So she's gone back to her usual
technique of shoving them in a bowl on the kitchen window!!

Lisa

www.harmonia-gardens.co.uk

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...