GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What do I do with fruit from Japanese Quince? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86159-what-do-i-do-fruit-japanese-quince.html)

Sadie 08-11-2004 06:24 PM

What do I do with fruit from Japanese Quince?

I have been given a fruit from a Japanese Quince, can any of you tell me what I have to do to propagate new plants from it?
Thanks,
Sadie

ned 08-11-2004 11:52 PM

"Sadie" wrote in message

I have been given a fruit from a Japanese Quince, can any of you

tell me
what I have to do to propagate new plants from it?
Thanks,

Allow to ripen naturally.
When it goes squadggy, split it open, harvest the pips.
Dry them off.
Save till Spring
.... and sow normally in a pot.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 08.11.2004

Nick Maclaren 09-11-2004 09:07 AM

In article ,
Sadie wrote:

I have been given a fruit from a Japanese Quince, can any of you tell me
what I have to do to propagate new plants from it?

As the other poster says. Just like apple pips. But, if you want one
for its flowers, you should propagate by getting a sucker. They will
not come true from pips.

The result will probably still be decorative, but will revert to some
sort of pink colour.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.