Old 24-10-2002, 08:29 AM

Default Cretan flowers

I think your plant is probably the Sea Squill -
Urginea maritima.
It grows all over the mediterranean region, has its leaves
in the rainy season - winter/spring.
There are pictures on the web ie:
http://www.tau.ac.il/~ibs/album/urginea.m.html
http://www.dipbot.unict.it/orto/0830-1.html

Charles Drown

In article , "Michael Berridge"
wrote:
Just back from a couple of weeks in Crete, sunny, hot, a bit different
to recent days in the UK.

While I was there I decided to buy a book on Cretan flowers, and I now
know that the palm trees I'm growing from seed are the Cretan palm, and
the plant that I thought was a small leaved holly, is, in fact a type of
oak Quercus kermode AFAIK.

I brought some seed back this year as well, from a tall foxtail lilly
type plant which had no leaves just the flower stalk. on closer
inspection it comes from a large bulb and some were just starting to
throw up leaves, but, I can't find it in my book, anyone know what it
might be? it does grow wild.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 24-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Renée

Hello,

the bulb you found is known as Scilla maritima and also as Urginia maritima.

Renée