Old 24-10-2002, 08:34 PM
Malcolm

Default Ashmead's Kernel apple

In article , Steve
Harris writes
I'm thinking of planing one of these since it's "local" and gets good
write ups in a few places.

Tips? Comments?

When we lived in Gloucestershire we grew one which fruited well and
produced a very pleasant apple.

--
Malcolm
Old 29-10-2002, 01:11 PM
J Jackson

Steve Harris wrote:
: I'm thinking of planing one of these since it's "local" and gets good
: write ups in a few places.

: Tips? Comments?

Mine does well. Up here near Wakefield, I leave the apples on the tree as
long as possible, well into november. Even the winds over the weekend
din't dislodge most of the fruit. I've found it easy to keep fairly
disease clean using organic methods. Mine is a largish bush on M26 root
stock.

It tends to the bienniel habit - i.e. crop has good years followed by poor
years - so I tend to thin out early on, fairly heavily in the good years
to make sure I get fruit every year.

When the fruit is ripe it is heavenly, especially straight off the tree.
It might be a slightly too acidic for some. Definitely my favorite apple.
Makes cox, sunset etc seem tame :-)

It keeps very well. In our cellar it keeps till feb as a
good apple. It keeps longer but the texture and taste does seriously down
hill.