Old 26-10-2002, 07:38 PM
DaveDay34

Default Ectoplasm

Probably a polyacrylamide gel that you get in some composts that retains water
(used in hanging baskets etc)

When I was at college a lecturer was telling us about this gel. As most of you
will know it comes in a crystaline for and is mixed in with the compost when
doing hanging baskets, etc.

Anyway, he told us of when this product first came out. A local council's
parks department decided to get some to add to the compost used for its summer
bedding outside the council offices. The idea was that the gel would retain
moisture during the summer so that the council workers didn't have to keep
watering the beds outside the offices.

However, the workmen didn't bother to read the instructions which accompanied
the gel/crystals, and when the first rain fell the council office staff were
greeted at work in the morning by huge quantities of clear gel oozing from the
raised flower bed. It proceeded to flow over the raised wall and drip down the
steps in front of the offices.

I shall of course refrain from mentioning which council made this blunder, just
in case anyone works/worked for the council in question.

Dave.
Old 26-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Essjay001

snip
I shall of course refrain from mentioning which council made this
blunder, just in case anyone works/worked for the council in question.

Dave.

Aw go on tell all

Stephen Jay

"Guns and bombs and flying machines are the tools of the war
Killing people wholesale is that what men are for.
Murder rape and pillaging armed robbery and cheats.
Laser guided missiles exploding with white heat."
"The Man" SJR

Old 26-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Grahame Fendle

"Natalie" wrote:

Spooky! A little bit early for Halloween ;-))

And Christmas, but that never stopped anyone. :-)
Old 26-10-2002, 11:00 PM
Grahame Fendle

"don" wrote:

Probably a polyacrylamide gel that you get in some composts that retains
water (used in hanging baskets etc)

Doh! Doh! Doh!

Guess who's just remembered where he planted the baskets up with Violas
just a few weeks ago!

ROFL! My wife - the non-gardener - thinks this is hysterical and will no
doubt get considerable mileage from it. Indeed, she is taking the wotsit as
I type and giving me loads of d-uh. :-(

ROFL! I was so looking forward to it being something interesting, too.

Oh well, I'll shut up now.

Old 27-10-2002, 01:08 AM
Tony

I had jelly blobs on my lawn too -- then I realised it was wallpaper paste my husband had
slopped out of the bucket!

Regards,

"Grahame Fendle" wrote

Seriously, there are two huge piles of jelly on my lawn, in an area that
gets little sun and is currently very damp. It's perfectly clear, by the
way.

Old 27-10-2002, 12:52 PM
Mary Fisher

"Grahame Fendle" wrote in message
"don" wrote:

Probably a polyacrylamide gel that you get in some composts that retains
water (used in hanging baskets etc)

Doh! Doh! Doh!

Guess who's just remembered where he planted the baskets up with Violas
just a few weeks ago!

ROFL! My wife - the non-gardener - thinks this is hysterical and will no
doubt get considerable mileage from it. Indeed, she is taking the wotsit

as
I type and giving me loads of d-uh. :-(

ROFL! I was so looking forward to it being something interesting, too.

Oh well, I'll shut up now.

Well, OK, but it's been a most entertaining thread, thanks!

Mary