Old 27-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Donegal Paul

Default Greenhouse protection?

Hi all, been a while since I have been here.
Can I ask is there a way to protect a greenhouse in the likes of the winds
we are having, in the last hour I have lost 6 full panes of glass from mine
:-(

Due to the position of the greenhouse it is not feasible to put a fence
round it or plant anything that would shelter it.

I was thinking about a very large weighted tarpaulin over the whole
structure as theoretically the wind could not then get inside the GH and
cause individual panes to come out. Is that feasible??

--
Paul Canning
Support your NHS by supporting yourNHS @ www.yournhs.org.uk

Old 27-10-2002, 04:14 PM
cormaic

'Twas Sun, 27 Oct 2002 10:05:55 -0000, when "Donegal Paul"
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

Hi all, been a while since I have been here.
Can I ask is there a way to protect a greenhouse in the likes of the winds
we are having, in the last hour I have lost 6 full panes of glass from mine
:-(

Due to the position of the greenhouse it is not feasible to put a fence
round it or plant anything that would shelter it.

I was thinking about a very large weighted tarpaulin over the whole
structure as theoretically the wind could not then get inside the GH and
cause individual panes to come out. Is that feasible??

If you get a roll of barrier fencing from a Contractors
Merchant, and stake that around the GH when you know there's a bit of
a breeze on the way, it will 'cushion' most of the force and
'insulate' the GH from the full force of the wind.
It's usually sold in an attractive shade of orange and so is
best dismantled when not required, but, as it rolls up and is very,
very tough, it's quite easy to store. It costs around 1 quid per
square metre, and is only a metre high, so you might need to put in
four or six 2m high stakes around the GH, around 300mm from the
structure itself, and then unfurl the barrier fencing as and when
required.

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 27-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Rod

"Donegal Paul" wrote in message
Due to the position of the greenhouse it is not feasible to put a fence
round it or plant anything that would shelter it.

Shelter belts don't *have* to be very close to be useful. IIRC the rule of
thumb is a shelter belt absorbs a useful amount of energy at a distance of
up to 5 times its own height. And believe me today we've really been glad of
the woodland surrounding us even though all the bangs and thuds have been a
bit disconcerting. At least we now know where the next years firewood is
coming from for our central heating and hot water ;~))))

Rod

Old 27-10-2002, 09:53 PM
snafu steve

"Donegal Paul" wrote in message
Hi all, been a while since I have been here.
Can I ask is there a way to protect a greenhouse in the likes of the winds
we are having, in the last hour I have lost 6 full panes of glass from

mine
:-(

Due to the position of the greenhouse it is not feasible to put a fence
round it or plant anything that would shelter it.

I was thinking about a very large weighted tarpaulin over the whole
structure as theoretically the wind could not then get inside the GH and
cause individual panes to come out. Is that feasible??

I don't know if it's feasible, but I know how you feel. I went down to the
allotment this morning and mine is totally trashed. Even the frame is
distorted. :-((
At least there wasn't much in it at this time of year.
Steve

Old 28-10-2002, 08:22 AM
Charlie Pridham

"cormaic" wrote in message
[...]

I have to cope with high winds most winters and have found that some makes
of greenhouse are more stable than others (if the frame moves the glass can
break) Instead of replacing with new hort glass I repair the existing broken
pane by sticking another slightly smaller sheet over it with silicon, the
resulting piece is more flexible and less likely to break. But long term it
may be better to stiffen up the greenhouse and maybe switch to a laminated
safety glass (I know its expensive!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Protection against the ZOO. Alen Kalati Edible Gardening 3 02-04-2003 12:20 AM
protection Raleighgirl North Carolina 0 29-03-2003 09:08 AM
protection [email protected] North Carolina 1 28-03-2003 03:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM
Need Ideas, fish protection? [email protected] Ponds 3 26-01-2003 01:29 PM