Old 27-10-2002, 11:22 AM
SS

Default Basil

I am no gardener, so I buy the pot of basil from the supermarket, split it
up (there are usually at least 2 stems) and plant it, one stem per pot, in
general purpose compost.

Keep them in good light, away from draughts and don't let them dry out and
you'll have an almost perpetual supply of basil, without having to wait for
seeds to germinate.

"Robert" wrote in message
Instead of continuing to buy supermarket plantlets of basil we really
should grow our own - do they come in different varieties and any tips
on growing - I imagine that a mix of JI No.3 and grit is probably OK?
--
Robert

---

Old 04-11-2002, 03:24 AM
Big Al

Alan Gould wrote on Sat 26 Oct 2002 04:12:47p :

Some very interesting new varieties of basil are becoming available
due to the herb's increasing popularity. We received the Halcyon seeds
2003 catalogue only today and it includes the following types of
Basil: Dark Opal; Greek; Lime; Thai; Green Globe; Ararat; Bush;
Cinnamon; Lettuce Leaved; Marsaillaise; Mrs. Burns Lemon; Purple
Ruffles; Spice; Sweet Compact; Sweet Genovese.

I've never had much joy with purple basils, Purple Ruffles is the only
one I've had that vaguely worked, and was too liquoricey for my taste.
Found some lime basil seeds in my dad's greenhouse and they're
definitely recommendable, although bog standard basil works fine for me
- does appreciate lots of sun though.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:31 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Big Al
writes
Alan Gould wrote on Sat 26 Oct 2002 04:12:47p :

Some very interesting new varieties of basil are becoming available
due to the herb's increasing popularity. We received the Halcyon seeds
2003 catalogue only today and it includes the following types of
Basil: Dark Opal; Greek; Lime; Thai; Green Globe; Ararat; Bush;
Cinnamon; Lettuce Leaved; Marsaillaise; Mrs. Burns Lemon; Purple
Ruffles; Spice; Sweet Compact; Sweet Genovese.

I've never had much joy with purple basils, Purple Ruffles is the only
one I've had that vaguely worked, and was too liquoricey for my taste.
Found some lime basil seeds in my dad's greenhouse and they're
definitely recommendable, although bog standard basil works fine for me
- does appreciate lots of sun though.

I got mine from Edwin Tucker and Moles. I grew the small leafed variety.
Just right for pots and very very very strongly scented. You only had to
brush past the pot gently sand the smell filed the greenhouse!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Letting Basil Go To Seed (was: Keeping Basil) Daniel B. Martin North Carolina 1 13-11-2003 02:14 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 3 04-03-2003 11:27 PM
tomato, chives, basil, parsley varieties Joel Edible Gardening 0 24-02-2003 11:03 PM
hydroponic basil speeder Gardening 1 27-01-2003 08:08 PM
gnats in my basil Eddie G Lawns 1 17-12-2002 10:11 AM