GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   unusual apple varieties (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8635-unusual-apple-varieties.html)

Kay Easton 27-10-2002 10:24 AM

unusual apple varieties

I am thinking of replacing two of my apples - herrings Pippin and
Reinette Ananas - neither of which crop very well, and I'm not that fond
of either. Herrings Pippin is too aromatic, and the apples are so large
that I can't face a whole one. Reinette ananas for me is producing tiny
little apples which I can't be bothered with.

Has anyone any ideas of what dessert apples I could replace them with.
Of commercial apples, I like Cox, Worcester and Egremont Russet, but I
really don't want anything that I can get hold of in the shops, so while
I've read the other threads on apple varieties, I was looking for
something more unusual, and which is not widely grown any more.

The other trees that I have and really enjoy are Allington Pippin, crisp
and fresh and a very pleasant matt light green (one of the joys of
autumn for me is all the different colours and textures of the different
apples); Brownlees Russet; King of the Pippins (large and lumpy),
Cornish Aromatic and Forge.

I'm looking for something in flowering period 3 or 4, and which will
tolerate - even thrive - on wet clay in Yorkshire.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/