Old 12-11-2004, 10:59 PM

Default Brussel Sprouts?

I have about 8 sprout plants growing in the garden, but the sprouts are
quite small.

Should they be ready to eat now or am I being a bit impatient?

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

Old 13-11-2004, 11:08 AM
Bob Hobden

"Mike Lyle" wrote
I have about 8 sprout plants growing in the garden, but the sprouts
are quite small.

Should they be ready to eat now or am I being a bit impatient?

Eat the disgusting things as soon as possible, I'd say!

Mike, have you tried the modern less bitter varieties of sprout, Icarus,
Trafalgar etc. They taste more like a summer cabbage than those oldfashioned
bitter sprouts.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 13-11-2004, 12:32 PM
Dwayne

I have read that Brussels sprouts get sweet after being frosted twice. I
would leave them alone until that happens and then start cutting them off
from the bottom up, to allow the top ones a little more time to get bigger.

Dwayne

Old 13-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Trevor Appleton

....ahhh...my all time favourite veg...have a plateful EVERY night...can
never understand the dislike of them by so many!

Old 13-11-2004, 06:39 PM
Rod

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 12:32:11 GMT, "Dwayne" wrote:

I have read that Brussels sprouts get sweet after being frosted twice. I
would leave them alone until that happens and then start cutting them off
from the bottom up, to allow the top ones a little more time to get bigger.

That's a myth,. I had hoped that accumulated experience would have
killed it off by now, As others have said various varieties mature at
different times but ime they are all worse after being frosted (after
they thaw they start to decompose on the plant). As to size of buttons
- we and probably others had a very dry June/July and if you didn't
keep the plants going well by watering and feeding at that time then
yes you will have small plants and correspondingly small sprouts.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.
Old 14-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Bruce

Too true! Just cooked then basted in butter till they're nutty and sweet.
Mmmmmm.....

And don't dig them up in Spring. Let the tops sprout and use them for the
sweetest, most delicious stir fry greens ever. Probably the best bit.

-service-com...

Old 15-11-2004, 07:31 PM
Trevor Appleton

"Bruce" wrote in message
Too true! Just cooked then basted in butter till they're nutty and sweet.
Mmmmmm.....

And don't dig them up in Spring. Let the tops sprout and use them for the
sweetest, most delicious stir fry greens ever. Probably the best bit.

You sound just like Bob Flowerdew (is that a made up name or wot?)

brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy Gardening 2 26-04-2006 04:26 PM
brussel sprouts blooming but no edible sprouts ncstockguy North Carolina 1 20-04-2006 11:45 PM
small green worms on my brussel sprouts I & H Prees Edible Gardening 5 14-07-2004 08:06 PM
brussel sprouts D. Helderman Gardening 5 28-06-2003 03:56 AM
Cause of "dirty" brussel Sprouts John Towill United Kingdom 10 17-12-2002 08:36 PM