Old 27-10-2002, 12:58 PM
Pam Moore

Default identity required - is it a weed....

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:47:24 +0100, "Suzanne ODonnell"
wrote:

Hi
I have just weeded my border - fairly overgrown with nettles and others. One
particular plant caught my interest as i thought it could possibily be worth
keeping.

Could it be some sort of oxalis?
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 27-10-2002, 03:56 PM
JennyC

"Suzanne ODonnell"
wrote in message ...
Hi
I have just weeded my border - fairly overgrown with nettles and

others. One
particular plant caught my interest as i thought it could possibily

be worth
keeping. here's the description
Stands about 10cms high in clumps, thin white stems - like cress -

similar
leaf shape to cress too but much, much bigger . Two leaves abit like
clover - but never 3 leaves, lighter yellower varigation.The roots

were
unusual - which is what made me think it was planted, bunches of

dry, tiny
'chick pea' shaped bulbs - which on bigger plants turned into pale

white
triangles like carrots still small though. I decided to pull 'em up

as they
had yellow / dark gold spots on the back of their leaves which I

didn't want
on my plants. There were so many of them it must be weeds - but we

have
recently turned over that patch very deeply to remove a laurel - did

these
plants return from a previous garden ????? adn what are they??
Thanks for helping out with my query
Suzanne

I think it's sounds like something I have in my garden too. It has
pretty yellow flowers in spring which remind me of buttercups but not
as tall. I think its a weed as it reproduces so fast, but it easy to
pull up. I tend to let it do its thing and then remove great clumps of
it when other things start to come through. I don't have a clue what
it's called :~)

Jenny

Old 28-10-2002, 09:05 PM
CK

I think Jenny's plant is the wild celandine, has masses of tiny 'tubers' on each
clump.
If you pull it up you will always leave some behind!

Not sure what Suzanne's plant is though, with the lighter yellow variegation I don't
thing it can be oxalis!
However celandine does get rust which could be the spots she mentions.........
Chris.
Somerset

Old 29-10-2002, 08:02 AM
JennyC

"CK" wrote in message
I think Jenny's plant is the wild celandine, has masses of tiny

'tubers' on each
clump. If you pull it up you will always leave some behind!

Thats the one Chris :~))
I quiet like it's jolly yellow colour and its very easy to remove when
other things are ready to take over the show :~)
jenny

Weed identity and means of killing needed for newbie to group Twitchell Lawns 6 18-06-2008 04:10 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
plant identity redstar United Kingdom 8 09-07-2003 04:28 PM
Wildflower identity Scott Ranger Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:27 PM
pear identity crisis Liz & Andy United Kingdom 1 15-04-2003 04:33 PM