GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Germinating nuts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86382-germinating-nuts.html)

compo 13-11-2004 10:23 AM

Germinating nuts

Hi,

Anyone know how to germinate a 'black walnut' please?

--
Cheers,
Compo

Bob Hobden 13-11-2004 11:04 AM

"compo" wrote
Anyone know how to germinate a 'black walnut' please?

If the number that germinate in our garden after being buried by squirrels
every year is anything to go by, just pot it up into a normal compost and
leave it outside.

--
Regards
Bob

Jaques d'Alltrades 13-11-2004 11:34 AM

The message
from compo contains these words:

Anyone know how to germinate a 'black walnut' please?

As long as it hasn't been dried - put it in compost and keep it moist.
Usually very easy.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

[email protected] 13-11-2004 04:46 PM

"compo" wrote in message
Hi,

Anyone know how to germinate a 'black walnut' please?

Just push it in the ground!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net

--
Cheers,
Compo

Gary 17-11-2004 10:48 AM

On 11/13/04 3:34 AM, in article
, "Jaques d'Alltrades"
wrote:

The message
from compo contains these words:

Anyone know how to germinate a 'black walnut' please?

As long as it hasn't been dried - put it in compost and keep it moist.
Usually very easy.

Right! Ask any squirrel. They do it better than most of us gardeners! :)

Gary 17-11-2004 11:08 AM

On 11/13/04 2:23 AM, in article kings,
"compo" wrote:

Hi,

Anyone know how to germinate a 'black walnut' please?

Germinate "a black walnut"...you only have one? Or do you only want one
tree? If you only have one black walnut then I have a question...how patient
are you? Some seeds will not sprout for years and although there are some
that know why...they are not talking, at this time.
Should you have lots +- then throw them into your compost pile and let
nature take it's course...they all may germinate or they may not. But, at
least one will!
I'm just guessing...tell me if I'm wrong. But then tell me if I'm right,
too.
Gary