Old 27-10-2002, 04:22 PM
cormaic

Default High hedge for coastal garden

A contractor colleague has a garden on the western edge of
Anglesey, only 100m from the sea, and needs to plant a high hedge to
screen an undesirable extension that his neighbour is having built.
Whether the extension is undesirable because Barry didn't get the
contract to build it, or whether it's just an eyesore is not revealed.
Anyway, he asked me to suggest a suitable hedging plant, and I
gave the stock answer of 'Escallonia', but, he reckons the hedge needs
to be 2-3m in height, and be up at that height by next summer at the
latest.
So, any suggestions for an evergreen, salt-tolerant,
wind-proof, reasonably tall, low-maintenance hedging plant that is
readily available and capable of being planted by a man more
accustomed to laying sewer pipes than laying hedges would be much
appreciated. :~)

--
cormaic URG faqs/webring - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/urgring/
Culcheth Garden - www.tmac.clara.co.uk/garden/

cormaic CAN BE FOUND AT borlochshall.co.uk
Old 27-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Mike

In article , cormaic
writes
A contractor colleague has a garden on the western edge of
Anglesey, only 100m from the sea, and needs to plant a high hedge to
screen an undesirable extension that his neighbour is having built.
Whether the extension is undesirable because Barry didn't get the
contract to build it, or whether it's just an eyesore is not revealed.
Anyway, he asked me to suggest a suitable hedging plant, and I
gave the stock answer of 'Escallonia', but, he reckons the hedge needs
to be 2-3m in height, and be up at that height by next summer at the
latest.
So, any suggestions for an evergreen, salt-tolerant,
wind-proof, reasonably tall, low-maintenance hedging plant that is
readily available and capable of being planted by a man more
accustomed to laying sewer pipes than laying hedges would be much
appreciated. :~)

We are in almost the same situation on the Isle of Wight with regards to
position from the cliff and wanting privacy in the garden for me to do
my topless sunbathing.

We have a quick thorn mixed with Escallonia as you say. We are very
pleased with the way it has screened and sheltered us and between the
they are quite easy for even me to manage with a thumping great pair of
Loppers and an Electric Hedge trimmer.

2 - 3 metres by next Summer is pushing it a bit. Even Russian Vine on
Chain Link fence wouldn't do that I don't think.

Mike
on a very windy Isle of Wight
(Just heard that in Portsmouth Harbour, a P & O Ferry has hit one of the
Royal Navy Warships)
O ruddier than the cherry, O sweeter than the berry,
O nymph more bright, than moonshine night,
like kidlings blithe and merry.
John Gay 1685 - 1732

Old 27-10-2002, 05:03 PM
Jane Ransom

In article , cormaic
writes
A contractor colleague has a garden on the western edge of
Anglesey, only 100m from the sea, and needs to plant a high hedge to
screen an undesirable extension that his neighbour is having built.
Whether the extension is undesirable because Barry didn't get the
contract to build it, or whether it's just an eyesore is not revealed.
Anyway, he asked me to suggest a suitable hedging plant, and I
gave the stock answer of 'Escallonia', but, he reckons the hedge needs
to be 2-3m in height, and be up at that height by next summer at the
latest.
So, any suggestions for an evergreen, salt-tolerant,
wind-proof, reasonably tall, low-maintenance hedging plant that is
readily available and capable of being planted by a man more
accustomed to laying sewer pipes than laying hedges would be much
appreciated. :~)

tongueInCheek Leylandii? /tongueInCheek

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 27-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Charlie Pridham

"cormaic" wrote in message
[...]

I would go for Pittosporum or Eleagnus ebbingii (both have scented flowers
as a bonus and are of course evergreen. Its not that escallonia is not a
good evergreen (and I will admit it would do the job quicker) but I think it
spends more of the year looking as if some one needs to cut it (and thats
usually me!)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 27-10-2002, 05:51 PM
Mike

In article , Jane Ransom
writes

tongueInCheek Leylandii? /tongueInCheek

This could almost be regarded as Spam :-((

Old 27-10-2002, 06:53 PM
Bevan Price

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , cormaic
writes
[...]

Doubt if even Leylandii grow that quickly. He could plant a temporary
barrier of tall annuals & perennials in front of the hedge for the first 3-4
years until it becomes established at the required height, e.g. a row of
sunflowers if his soil is suitable.

Bevan

Old 27-10-2002, 10:46 PM
Rod

"cormaic" wrote in message
, he asked me to suggest a suitable hedging plant, and I
gave the stock answer of 'Escallonia', but, he reckons the hedge needs
to be 2-3m in height, and be up at that height by next summer at the
latest.

Sounds like he wants a fence with leaves on it. There's a product waiting
for an entrepreneur.

Rod

Old 28-10-2002, 04:36 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Sun, 27 Oct 2002 16:22:23 +0000, cormaic
wrote:

...he reckons the hedge needs
to be 2-3m in height, and be up at that height by next summer at the
latest.

Please ask your friend to solve an elementary arithmetic problem,
namely:

If a hedge grows 2 meters in its first year, and continues to
grow at the same rate for four more years, how tall will it be in
five years?

There is no such thing as a *woody* plant that will grow 2 meters
in its first year and then stop in its tracks. Some herbaceous
plants can do this: castor bean, cannabis, and perhaps a few
others recommended in older books for fast screening use. But
nothing that will actually form a real hedge.

In the long run, something like Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd' (aka
'Emerald Green') might do admirably, but you are looking at much
slower growth.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 28-10-2002, 09:12 AM
Jane Ransom

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

I would go for Pittosporum

Pittosporum is not hardy enough

Old 28-10-2002, 10:04 AM
Robert Davies

How about a bamboo screen? I've planted several bamboos in my gargen
to hide an ugly new house that's gone up - their advantage is that
they rapidly reach their mature height, and they're evergreen - as
well as well worth having in their own right.
Most bamboos wouldn't like such an exposed site as you describe, but
one - Pseudosasa japonica - is recommended as one of the best plants
of any sort for a windbreak in a coastal location (in one experiment
in cornwall it was recommended as one of the top ten plants for
forming a windbreak.) The main problem would be obtaining enough
plants cheaply enough if the hedge is a long one. . .

Robert

----------

Old 28-10-2002, 02:21 PM
cormaic

'Twas Mon, 28 Oct 2002 04:36:50 GMT, when
(Rodger Whitlock) enriched
all our lives with these worthy thoughts:

Please ask your friend to solve an elementary arithmetic problem,
namely:
If a hedge grows 2 meters in its first year, and continues to
grow at the same rate for four more years, how tall will it be in
five years?

Aaah, but Barry is not a gardener. He envisages a hedge that
will achieve the required height and then stabilise at that height for
evermore. I did ask whether he also wanted it to have tenners for
leaves and gold nuggets for seed but this seemed to pass over his
head. ;~)

Old 28-10-2002, 02:21 PM
cormaic

'Twas Mon, 28 Oct 2002 10:04:08 +0000 (UTC), when "Robert Davies"
enriched all our lives with these worthy
thoughts:

How about a bamboo screen? I've planted several bamboos in my gargen
to hide an ugly new house that's gone up - their advantage is that
they rapidly reach their mature height, and they're evergreen - as
well as well worth having in their own right.
Most bamboos wouldn't like such an exposed site as you describe, but
one - Pseudosasa japonica - is recommended as one of the best plants
of any sort for a windbreak in a coastal location (in one experiment
in cornwall it was recommended as one of the top ten plants for
forming a windbreak.) The main problem would be obtaining enough
plants cheaply enough if the hedge is a long one. . .

Cost (within reason) is not a problem. I like the idea of
bamboo; I'll put it to him at our next meeting. Cheers!

Old 28-10-2002, 02:26 PM
Michael Savage

"cormaic" wrote in message
[...]

I have been very impressed with Griselinia here in N. Ireland. Going by the
ones we had in the last garden, if you start with vigorous young plants,
make sure the soil isn't compacted to a good depth and give a dose of feed I
reckon you could get up to about 1.5m in a year, and it's reasonably easy to
keep to size. I've seen it growing right by the shore facing SW so must have
been taking some wind/salt.

Michael S

Old 28-10-2002, 04:53 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
In article , Charlie
Pridham writes

I would go for Pittosporum

Pittosporum is not hardy enough

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

Possibly not where you are :~) but the original post mentioned coastal
Anglesea which is one of the mildest spots in the UK (even though it never
felt like it awaiting the bar pilot, Liverpool!!)

Old 28-10-2002, 04:58 PM
Charlie Pridham

"cormaic" wrote in message
[...]

Most gardens in Cornwall with it would be delighted if you took some away!
here in the middle its not especially invasive and I think its an inspired
suggestion :~) Try contacting www.carwinion.com Anthony and Jane Rogers, its
a large garden with a huge collection of Bamboo, you may be able to cut a
deal :~)