Old 14-11-2004, 03:09 AM
Gary

Default Another composting post-I thought I composted Big Time...or howto learn more about less and less...

Hello this is a composting 'post' and I have a question:
I thought I was a 'big time composter'...until I found a bigger
composter, much bigger, in a local paper. I checked them out and sent a post
to this newsgroup with the subject: "So you think you're a big time
composter. Check this out...".
To date I have receive no comments on what 'they' have achieved. Is
there anyone who likes what they have accomplished?
Gary

Old 16-11-2004, 08:57 AM
Put Your Name here...

On 11/13/04 7:09 PM, in article , "Gary"
wrote:

Hello this is a composting 'post' and I have a question:
I thought I was a 'big time composter'...until I found a bigger
composter, much bigger, in a local paper. I checked them out and sent a post
to this newsgroup with the subject: "So you think you're a big time
composter. Check this out...".
To date I have receive no comments on what 'they' have achieved. Is
there anyone who likes what they have accomplished?
Gary

What is the site address? I'm lazy...

Old 16-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Philip

Gary wrote in message ...
Hello this is a composting 'post' and I have a question:
I thought I was a 'big time composter'...until I found a bigger
composter, much bigger, in a local paper. I checked them out and sent a post
to this newsgroup with the subject: "So you think you're a big time
composter. Check this out...".
To date I have receive no comments on what 'they' have achieved. Is
there anyone who likes what they have accomplished?
Gary

Gary

I do composting to the same scale that I garden. Medium sized garden
= medium sized compost heap. My compost heap is a by-product of my
gardening activity, it is not my raison d'etre.

Their composting activity is their livelihood to me it looks like its
part of a waste management plan.

As this is a gardening group and I suspect people found it
interesting, but not that interesting.
Old 16-11-2004, 06:41 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Philip
writes

I do composting to the same scale that I garden. Medium sized garden
= medium sized compost heap. My compost heap is a by-product of my
gardening activity, it is not my raison d'etre.

That's the right way to approach composting for a recreational garden.
By those standards our composting could be described as big time, though
like yours it is just an outcome of the garden it serves. For our two
acre garden, we use four boxes constructed from railway sleepers. The
system is, one making, one maturing, one using, plus one for delivered
horse manure. Pictures and a full description of the system can be seen
in the urg FAQ on composting at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/organic.html
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 16-11-2004, 08:25 PM
June Hughes

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Philip
writes

I do composting to the same scale that I garden. Medium sized garden
= medium sized compost heap. My compost heap is a by-product of my
gardening activity, it is not my raison d'etre.

That's the right way to approach composting for a recreational garden.
By those standards our composting could be described as big time, though
like yours it is just an outcome of the garden it serves. For our two
acre garden, we use four boxes constructed from railway sleepers. The
system is, one making, one maturing, one using, plus one for delivered
horse manure. Pictures and a full description of the system can be seen
in the urg FAQ on composting at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/organic.html

Pity you are where you are and not near here.
A local lady (riding school) has lots of horse manure and is having to
pay to have most of it taken away.
Hope you are well. I remember the pics you sent of your garden some 6
or so years ago.
--
June Hughes

Old 17-11-2004, 06:01 AM
Alan Gould

In article , June Hughes
writes
Pity you are where you are and not near here.
A local lady (riding school) has lots of horse manure and is having to
pay to have most of it taken away.

Hi June! The horse manure situation is a bit like that here with lots of
riding stables and owners of one or two horses, which is why I an able
to have it delivered without cost. Others would like to bring some too
if I could use more. I feel that a lot more gardeners could have regular
supplies in a similar way.

Hope you are well. I remember the pics you sent of your garden some 6
or so years ago.

We're both fine thanks, and we are still enjoying our gardening as much
as ever. It keeps us fit and it gives us a daily interesting challenge.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 17-11-2004, 09:43 AM
Gary

On 11/16/04 12:25 PM, in article , "June
Hughes" wrote:

In message , Alan Gould
writes
In article , Philip
writes

I do composting to the same scale that I garden. Medium sized garden
= medium sized compost heap. My compost heap is a by-product of my
gardening activity, it is not my raison d'etre.

That's the right way to approach composting for a recreational garden.
By those standards our composting could be described as big time, though
like yours it is just an outcome of the garden it serves. For our two
acre garden, we use four boxes constructed from railway sleepers. The
system is, one making, one maturing, one using, plus one for delivered
horse manure. Pictures and a full description of the system can be seen
in the urg FAQ on composting at:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/organic.html
Pity you are where you are and not near here.
A local lady (riding school) has lots of horse manure and is having to
pay to have most of it taken away.

Sounds like an opportunity to me....there are many that would die for manure
like that...her focus is on the students and horse care. That is
understandable...but, there is an opportunity there waiting to be
tapped...somebody is already...and they get paid to take it away.

Old 17-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Gary

wrote:

Hello this is a composting 'post' and I have a question:
I thought I was a 'big time composter'...until I found a bigger
composter, much bigger, in a local paper. I checked them out and sent a post
to this newsgroup with the subject: "So you think you're a big time
composter. Check this out...".
To date I have receive no comments on what 'they' have achieved. Is
there anyone who likes what they have accomplished?
Gary

What is the site address? I'm lazy...

Well, get over it!
If these don't work.....all I can tell you is that they are close! to being
right.....

http://vallejogarbage.com/sf_composting.htm
And the composting facility site is
http: //Jepsonprairieorganics.com/process.htm
Gary

Old 17-11-2004, 10:21 AM
Gary

wrote:

Hello this is a composting 'post' and I have a question:
I thought I was a 'big time composter'...until I found a bigger
composter, much bigger, in a local paper. I checked them out and sent a post
to this newsgroup with the subject: "So you think you're a big time
composter. Check this out...".
To date I have receive no comments on what 'they' have achieved. Is
there anyone who likes what they have accomplished?
Gary

What is the site address? I'm lazy...

Well, get over it!
If these don't work.....all I can tell you is that they are close! to being
right.....

http://vallejogarbage.com/sf_composting.htm
And the composting facility site is
http://Jepsonprairieorganics.com/process.htm
Gary

Sorry there was a glitch in the second site address...it should now be
highlighted and work...I hope.
Gary