Old 28-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Marc W

Default Can I now plant Lavender and Rosemarbush?

Hello,

Two lovely helpfull people here adviced me to grow lavender and
rosemarybush, since they are strong plants.

I now have some time and extra money to make up my balcony, would you buy
these plants now, or is it better to wait untill the pre-year?

Marc

Old 28-10-2002, 10:01 PM
Zizz

"Marc W" wrote in message
Hello,

Two lovely helpfull people here adviced me to grow lavender and
rosemarybush, since they are strong plants.

I now have some time and extra money to make up my balcony, would you buy
these plants now, or is it better to wait untill the pre-year?

Marc

If you're getting morning frosts I'd suggest to wait until spring when the
frosts have finished and the the earth starts warming up.
If you're not getting frosts in the morning you may have a chance but since
it's now so close to winter I'd rather suggest to wait till spring as
planting in cold/frozen earth won't give them a good start and may not be
good for them.
I would guess this is more so for patio/balcony pots.
HTH

Old 30-10-2002, 09:33 AM
DaveDay34

If frost is likely to be a problem (and can be more of a problem if you plant
into pots on a patio) you can plant in slightly oversized pots. Line the
bottom of the pot with smallish pieces of old polystyrene. Add some earth, and
as you build earth up in the pot, add more polystyrene up the sides of the pot.
This will provice insulation and will limit the effects of most frosts.

Hope you find this helpful.

Dave.