Old 28-10-2002, 11:12 PM
Alan Holmes

Default Tree/shrub to fill gap?

I want to fill a gap in hedge about 4 feet wide, so I'm looking for a
tree or shrub which will grow fairly quickly to fill the 4 foot wide gap
and grow to about 7 feet or more but not something which is going
to grow to 20 feet.

I have absolutely no ideas about things like this as I'm only basically
interested in growing things to eat!

So, any ideas?

Alan

Old 29-10-2002, 12:42 AM
William Tasso

"Alan Holmes" wrote:

I want to fill a gap in hedge about 4 feet wide, so I'm looking for a
tree or shrub which will grow fairly quickly to fill the 4 foot wide gap
and grow to about 7 feet or more but not something which is going
to grow to 20 feet.

How deep/wide/thick is the hedge?

What makes up the hedge either side of the gap?

--
William Tasso - http://www.tbdata.com/

Old 29-10-2002, 06:49 PM
Big Al

Alan Holmes wrote on Mon 28 Oct 2002 11:12:14p :

I want to fill a gap in hedge about 4 feet wide, so I'm looking for a
tree or shrub which will grow fairly quickly to fill the 4 foot wide
gap and grow to about 7 feet or more but not something which is going
to grow to 20 feet.

I have absolutely no ideas about things like this as I'm only
basically interested in growing things to eat!

A Worcesterberry then? ;-) Even if the berries just go for the birds.

Seriously, I've always thought they would make a rather good hawthorn
substitute, and my dad's old one took on almost exactly those
dimensions.
Old 30-10-2002, 06:36 AM
William Tasso

"Alan Holmes" wrote
"William Tasso" wrote in message
"Alan Holmes" wrote:

I want to fill a gap in hedge about 4 feet wide, so I'm looking for a
tree or shrub which will grow fairly quickly to fill the 4 foot wide

gap
and grow to about 7 feet or more but not something which is going
to grow to 20 feet.

How deep/wide/thick is the hedge?

About 3 feet.

What makes up the hedge either side of the gap?

A fence on one side and some sort of evergreen plant on the other.

Rhododendron is evergreen, has varieties that are roughly the required
dimensions, but unfortunately isn't a fast grower.

--
William Tasso - The road to hell is littered with fallen webmasters.
http://www.tbdata.com/

Old 30-10-2002, 08:28 AM
DaveDay34

How about Photinia x Fraseri 'Red Robin' (hope I've spelt that correctly from
memory).

It's something that can be pruned to shape to form a hedge. It grows fairly
quickly, but in my experience won't grow too tall, though I'm sure there's
someone who's got a next door neighbour who has one that's a real nuisance
because they never prune it and it's 30 feet high!

All the best with your quest. Let us know what you decide apon in the end.

Dave.

Old 02-11-2002, 06:11 PM
Alan Holmes

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

I want to fill a gap in hedge about 4 feet wide, so I'm looking for a
tree or shrub which will grow fairly quickly to fill the 4 foot wide gap
and grow to about 7 feet or more but not something which is going
to grow to 20 feet.

I have absolutely no ideas about things like this as I'm only basically
interested in growing things to eat!

So, any ideas?

At long last a decision has been made!

I've bought, with money, a Griselina and it has now been planted
in the spot allocated for it.

I just hope it grows quickly and does, not exceed 12 feet high!

Alan

Old 04-11-2002, 02:14 AM
Big Al

Alan Holmes wrote on Fri 01 Nov 2002 01:08:25p :

"Big Al" wrote in message

A Worcesterberry then? ;-) Even if the berries just go for the
birds.

This one sounds interesting, but is it evergreen, and does it grow
quickly?

You didn't say anything about evergreen! No it's not, but it forms quite
a dense bush. Probably a tad more vigorous than say hawthorn, so pretty
quick growing, although I've no experience of it as a hedge plant.

Too late I know, but thought it was worth completing the thread.

Hungry Gap Chris[_3_] United Kingdom 5 11-03-2008 05:49 PM
What shrub to fill a gap? androo United Kingdom 4 09-03-2006 04:07 PM
Sheds gap [was:Re DECKING] Brian Watson United Kingdom 2 23-02-2004 07:42 AM
filler for sheltered gap? miss calm United Kingdom 1 06-02-2003 07:40 AM
filler for sheltered gap? miss calm United Kingdom 0 26-01-2003 03:24 PM