Old 29-10-2002, 04:38 PM
Victoria Clare

Default unidentified azalea care

Last Christmas I bought a double white flowering azalea from (I think)
Waitrose. It was labelled simply 'Azalea'. It flowered enthusiastically
throughout the festive season on the dining table, and in the spring I
potted it on.

It's now starting to come back into bud.

But is it hardy? The RHS encyclopaedia suggests that azaleas sold as
potplants may be tender - how can I tell?

It's grown enough this year that it would make quite a large table
decoration - and of course it now has that generous pot to live in...

We've had no frosts here yet, and I'm wondering if it should come inside
before we finally do, or whether it should spend some time in the
greenhouse and come into the warm for Christmas.

The flowers were largish and unscented, and the leaves are smallish, dark
green, rounded and slightly hairy. I think there may actually be two
plants in the pot, though they are so entwined it's hard to tell.

Any ideas?

Victoria
Old 29-10-2002, 07:05 PM
Rod

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...
Last Christmas I bought a double white flowering azalea from (I think)
Waitrose. It was labelled simply 'Azalea'. It flowered enthusiastically
throughout the festive season on the dining table, and in the spring I
potted it on.

It's now starting to come back into bud.

But is it hardy? The RHS encyclopaedia suggests that azaleas sold as
potplants may be tender - how can I tell?

I think you should take that as tender Victoria, though I wouldn't be
surprised if some favoured gardens in the SW could grow them outside. The
hardy 'Japanese Azaleas' usually have larger leaves - often longer rather
than round and flowers tend to be simpler. It's highly unlikely that your
supermarket plant would be anything other than the 'Indica' type. If you'd
got it from a garden centre there would be more doubt. The indoor plants
often are several to a pot. Yes get it in before frost.

Rod

Old 30-10-2002, 09:48 AM
Victoria Clare

"Rod" wrote in
:

"Victoria Clare" wrote in message
.209...

But is it hardy? The RHS encyclopaedia suggests that azaleas sold as
potplants may be tender - how can I tell?

I think you should take that as tender Victoria, though I wouldn't be
surprised if some favoured gardens in the SW could grow them outside.
The hardy 'Japanese Azaleas' usually have larger leaves - often longer
rather than round and flowers tend to be simpler. It's highly unlikely
that your supermarket plant would be anything other than the 'Indica'
type. If you'd got it from a garden centre there would be more doubt.
The indoor plants often are several to a pot. Yes get it in before
frost.

Thanks Rod!
I am high enough up that we usually (so far!) do get some noticeable frosts
once they finally arrive, so I will do as you suggest.

Will have to put it somewhere where I will be always falling over it, as it
likes plenty to drink - will probably need watering daily now we have the
central heating on.

Victoria

azalea and rhodendendrum care solaara United Kingdom 1 13-06-2010 09:48 AM
Azalea Care Angela Coffey Gardening 6 22-04-2003 07:44 AM
NEED HELP - Unidentified gymnosperm cone Louise Plant Science 4 03-04-2003 11:44 PM
NEED HELP - Big gymnosperm cone unidentified Louise Plant Biology 1 03-04-2003 06:44 AM
Unidentified weed ?? gray United Kingdom 5 15-02-2003 05:31 PM