Old 29-10-2002, 08:48 PM
Edmund Greening

Default Planting a fig

I have two fig trees on order, one to grow in a pot and keep inside in
winter and one to grow outside. I am in the procees of clearing a space and
lining a the hole with paving slabs, as suggested in Gardening Which?. Has
anyone any experience of growing figs outside who could offer advice?

I am in Wiltshire and am planting a Brown Turkey fig against a SW facing
wall.

Ed

Old 29-10-2002, 10:33 PM
Robert Brown

Sounds good so far just make sure the compost is of a poor and stoney/rubley
nature, so that the fig will not put on too much extention growth &
encourage it to fruit. best of luck, nothing like a frsh picked ripe fig.
Hope this is of use Robert

Old 30-10-2002, 09:23 AM
BAC

"Edmund Greening" wrote in message
I have two fig trees on order, one to grow in a pot and keep inside in
winter and one to grow outside. I am in the procees of clearing a space

and
lining a the hole with paving slabs, as suggested in Gardening Which?. Has
anyone any experience of growing figs outside who could offer advice?

I am in Wiltshire and am planting a Brown Turkey fig against a SW facing
wall.

Don't know much about growing indoor figs, but an outdoor brown turkey in
the location you describe should fare OK, but, since it's in a pot, don't
forget to water it. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2002, 04:51 PM
David Sinfield

In message , Edmund
Greening writes
I have two fig trees on order, one to grow in a pot and keep inside in
winter and one to grow outside. I am in the procees of clearing a space and
lining a the hole with paving slabs, as suggested in Gardening Which?. Has
anyone any experience of growing figs outside who could offer advice?

I am in Wiltshire and am planting a Brown Turkey fig against a SW facing
wall.

Ed

I've had a couple of figs in tubs for about 5 years, no sign of a fig
yet though, they were grown from seeds.

This year 'er indoors wanted one of the tubs moving and I found the
plant had rooted through the bottom of the pot and had sizeable roots
going into the ground. The tree lost all it's leaves but I'm hoping
it'll be back next year. I may even shocked it into making fruit.

Moral: stand your pots on something that won't allow the roots down.

--
Cheers,
David Sinfield (Surrey, UK)
Old 08-11-2002, 07:03 PM
Paul Adkinson

Ed:

Here in Spain fig trees are very common (I have three, one inside my garden
and two wild figs outside), and they are capable of great damage. Just a
brief anecdote: there was a court case we read about last week in the local
newspaper. One guy took his neighbour to court for damages in his garden
wall caused by the other man's fig tree. The amazing thing is that the tree
stands about 90 metres away.
My tree is now about 12 years old, stands around 14 feet high, and between
the wasps, the starlings and my wife we get about 300 figs each season. It
has however done considerable damage to my brick wall.
The concrete slabs in the ground are a good suggestion. Remember to seal the
corners with cement or the roots will be out through there and away.
Paul.

Old 09-11-2002, 03:17 PM
Pam Moore

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:48:06 GMT, "Edmund Greening"
wrote:

Has
anyone any experience of growing figs outside who could offer advice?
I am in Wiltshire and am planting a Brown Turkey fig against a SW facing
wall.

Bob Flowerdew's advice is to plant a fig in an old washing machine
drum, sunk in the ground. This constricts the roots and alllows
moisture to circulate.
Cheers
Pam

Bristol
Old 10-11-2002, 07:16 AM
Diane Epps

wrote:

Has
anyone any experience of growing figs outside who could offer advice?
I am in Wiltshire and am planting a Brown Turkey fig against a SW facing
wall.

Bob Flowerdew's advice is to plant a fig in an old washing machine
drum, sunk in the ground. This constricts the roots and alllows
moisture to circulate.
Cheers
Pam

I have a fig tree which fruits well each year and that is planted with its
roots in a pile of rubble which restricts its root space. It is very happy
outside here in Kent. We only get one of the 2 crops per year as the
summers are not long enough to allow the second crop to mature.
Diane