GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Organic compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86599-organic-compost.html)

DJBrenton 18-11-2004 10:11 PM

Organic compost

I run our allotment shop, and would like to stock oeganic compost. I don't trust our local suppliers unbranded version for quality. Would anyone recommend any organic composts they've used? The complaints I've had vary from - it takes too much wetting, to seeds seem to take longer to germinate, to it is too coarse. There must be a really good compost out there, but short of buying every one I can find on the net to try I'm stuck for next year's purchases.

Sarah Dale 19-11-2004 08:42 PM

DJBrenton wrote:
I run our allotment shop, and would like to stock oeganic compost. I
don't trust our local suppliers unbranded version for quality. Would
anyone recommend any organic composts they've used? The complaints I've

I've used B&Q's organic compost for both seeds and general potting up /
hanging basket purposes to reasonable success. It also featured well on
Gardener's World - they did recommend one other brand, and B&Q's came 2nd.

Some people may find it too coarse for them especially with seed, but
I've had no problems with veg seed germination using it.

I find any compost can be hard to re-wet when it gets dry. B&Q's stuff
doesn't dry out that quickly which is a plus point.

HTH,

Sarah