GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant identification book required (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8662-plant-identification-book-required.html)

Martin & Anna Sykes 30-10-2002 10:47 AM

Plant identification book required

Can anyone recommend a good plant encyclopaedia which can be used for
general plant identification.

I have the RHS Encyclopaedia but the pictures are pretty useless for the
most part. I'd like a close up picture/drawing of the leaves, flowers, seed
pods etc. for identification purposes, and an overall picture of the plant
with details about it's preferences for soil/light etc, and the recommended
methods of propagation. Most books seem to work for either a plant you have
already identified and just want to know more about, or for finding a plant
to suit a situation. Both are useful but not what I need.

I'm sure this isn't really too much to ask so has anyone found a book to
offer all this?

Thanks,

Martin.

Kay Easton 30-10-2002 01:09 PM

Plant identification book required

In article , Martin & Anna Sykes
writes
Can anyone recommend a good plant encyclopaedia which can be used for
general plant identification.

I have the RHS Encyclopaedia but the pictures are pretty useless for the
most part. I'd like a close up picture/drawing of the leaves, flowers, seed
pods etc. for identification purposes, and an overall picture of the plant
with details about it's preferences for soil/light etc, and the recommended
methods of propagation. Most books seem to work for either a plant you have
already identified and just want to know more about, or for finding a plant
to suit a situation. Both are useful but not what I need.

have a look at some of the Roger Phillips books
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/

redclay13 30-10-2002 02:08 PM

"Martin & Anna Sykes" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a good plant encyclopaedia which can be used for
general plant identification.

Check out the Peterson series.

Janet Tweedy 03-11-2002 05:27 PM

Plant identification book required

In article , Kay Easton
writes

have a look at some of the Roger Phillips books

IF you can get them Kay! I've been waiting six months for Amazon to get
me the late flowering perennial one.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Kay Easton 04-11-2002 04:41 PM

Plant identification book required

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Kay Easton
writes

have a look at some of the Roger Phillips books

IF you can get them Kay! I've been waiting six months for Amazon to get
me the late flowering perennial one.

Really? I got it without trouble from Waterstones, but that was about
two years ago.