Old 20-11-2004, 10:58 PM
Prakash

Default Newbie...Need some advice re a mushroom/fungus and ivy

Hi,
I moved into a house with a decent sized garden a couple of months ago and
have been trying to get the garden in shape - it was (and still is) rather
overgrown. I've never tried gardening before and am beginning to like it. I
have a bunch of Ash trees at the back of the garden and when clearing them
of ivy, I noticed one of the trees had a fungus like (or maybe its a
mushroom ?) growth on the bark. I have uploaded a picture of this at
www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Fungus1.jpg . Could some one please tell me
what this is, and whether it is likely to spread to all the other trees. And
what do I do about it ?

After reading some posts in this news group, I also cut the ivy from the
base of the trees, so there is no where for the ivy to touch the ground. I
assume the ivy will die eventually - how do I get it off the tree ? the ivy
has grown up most of the trees to a significant height. Will it just fall
off once dead ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Prakash.

Old 20-11-2004, 11:45 PM
Bob Hobden

"Prakash" wrote
I moved into a house with a decent sized garden a couple of months ago and
have been trying to get the garden in shape - it was (and still is) rather
overgrown. I've never tried gardening before and am beginning to like it.
have a bunch of Ash trees at the back of the garden and when clearing them
of ivy, I noticed one of the trees had a fungus like (or maybe its a
mushroom ?) growth on the bark. I have uploaded a picture of this at
www.pgnet.plus.com/gardening/Fungus1.jpg . Could some one please tell me
what this is, and whether it is likely to spread to all the other trees.
And
what do I do about it ?

Looks a bit like Witches Butter (Exidia glandulosa) and from the photo it
also looks as if the trunk it's growing on is dead and therefore needs to be
cut out.
If you want to help wildlife, when you have removed the dead bit, leave it
on the ground to rot away.

After reading some posts in this news group, I also cut the ivy from the
base of the trees, so there is no where for the ivy to touch the ground. I
assume the ivy will die eventually - how do I get it off the tree ? the
ivy
has grown up most of the trees to a significant height. Will it just fall
off once dead ?

If the roots aren't in the ground it will die and eventually it will simply
fall off the trees, may take a year or two for all the clinging bit to come
loose.

--
Regards
Bob

Old 21-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Prakash

Bob,
Thanks. I looked up Exidia Glandulosa today. Unlike glandulosa, the fungus
one my tree has one large black fruiting body - approx 3-4 cm across. There
are a few of them (maybe 6-7) on different sides of the trunk. Is there a
variety of glandulosa that has single fuiting bodies ?

Re the dead trunk, did you mean I should leave the bits I cut down somewhere
in the garden for the wildlife (I have a corner where I could just stack
them), or were you referring to the stump ? In either case, one of the ads
in the local newspaper last week talked of something called a 'Honey fungus'
that apparently attacks trees and shrubs and starts mainly from stumps left
in the ground or dead wood in the garden. They were trying to sell stump
removal and grinding and garden clearance services, so I'm not sure how much
of that was hype, and how much a real probability of it happening.

Does 'Honey fungus' exist in the UK, and how serious a threat is it in your
view ?

cheers,
Prakash.

"Prakash" wrote

Old 21-11-2004, 10:51 PM
Prakash

Daldinia concentrica. Google on 'cramp ball'

Spot on. It is indeed the 'cramp ball'. The tree is going. What do I do with
the stump ? Will it just continue to decay and host many other fungii ? Or
do I need to try and get it out ? Is there anything I can do (spray it with
something etc?) to stop the stump providing a place for more fungii ?

Does 'Honey fungus' exist in the UK, and how serious a threat is it in

your
view ?

It is one of the commonest fungi in the UK, and present in most of our
woodlands. The fact that we still *have* woodlands inclines me to the
school of thought that says it is a danger to ailing trees and not to
healthy ones. I certainly don't worry about it, have plenty of rotten
wood in my garden, and all my trees and bushes are perfectly healthy.

Others have different views.

Old 22-11-2004, 02:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Prakash" contains
these words:

Spot on. It is indeed the 'cramp ball'. The tree is going. What do I do with
the stump ? Will it just continue to decay and host many other fungii ? Or
do I need to try and get it out ? Is there anything I can do (spray it with
something etc?) to stop the stump providing a place for more fungii ?

Leave it there unless it's in the way. If you do want it out and you can
dig round it, get someone to shin up the tree with a rope and attach it
as near the top as possible.

Dig round the tree and cut the roots as you come across them. You can
find where the next one is by getting someone to pull on the rope - the
earth will move for you. When most of the roots have been cut you should
be able to pull the tree over, bringing the root out of the ground.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/

Old 22-11-2004, 08:22 AM
Franz Heymann

"Prakash" wrote in
message ...

Daldinia concentrica. Google on 'cramp ball'

Spot on. It is indeed the 'cramp ball'. The tree is going. What do I

do with
the stump ? Will it just continue to decay and host many other

fungii ? Or
do I need to try and get it out ? Is there anything I can do (spray

it with
something etc?) to stop the stump providing a place for more fungii

?

The general idea would be to retain the attractiveness of the stump
for fungi.. They are, after all, the major soldiers in the recycling
of dead woody material.

Franz

Ivy, Ivy & more ivy Roger Tonkin[_2_] United Kingdom 6 08-07-2016 10:48 PM
Mushroom mushroom... Tim Watts[_3_] United Kingdom 19 09-11-2014 11:02 PM
IVY IVY IVY JCYates United Kingdom 15 28-08-2008 12:22 PM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 04:17 PM
Gray fungus/mushroom Purchgdss Gardening 1 13-04-2003 08:44 AM