GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Glowworms as biologcal control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8671-re-glowworms-biologcal-control.html)

Jane Ransom 31-10-2002 04:07 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

In article , Nick Wagg
writes
Mind you, I don't know how else to encourage thrushes into a garden
except by having a plentiful supply of snails...

They need nesting sites, remember, and their diet isn't 100% snails :)))
--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Carol Russell 31-10-2002 09:40 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

"Nick Wagg" wrote in message
Martin & Anna Sykes wrote:

I read that glowworm grubs eat snails. Can they be bought as biological
control?
I quite like the idea of some wildlife that will both eat my snails and
light up the garden at night.

Try thrushes. If the sound of a snail being smashed to smithereens
on a stone or brick isn't music enough to your ears, listen to the
song.

I enjoy having song thrushes use my garden and indeed the sight of them
devouring snails pleases me, but I do wish they would clear up after
themselves as snail shell in bare feet is not nice. BTW do thrushes eat
slugs?

--
Art

Garden Web http://www.gardenweb.com
My Garden Web exchange page http://www.gardenweb.com/members/exch/art1952

[email protected] 01-11-2002 12:03 AM

Glowworms as biologcal control

Never seen one in the West Yorkshire Alps, but this Summer I found one on
the edge of a wheatfield in Normandy. It's bum was beautiful, but by golly
its face was ugly! I suppose you can't have everything.

Steve

Carol Russell 01-11-2002 03:41 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

"K" wrote in message

"Jane Ransom" wrote in message
: I once went through my bird book from beginning to end to find out which
: birds ate slugs. The list is:
:
: starling
: partridge
: corncrake (rare, apr-sept)
: stone curlew (deep south only, mar-oct)
: spotted crake (waterside, apr-dec)
: black tailed godwit (coastal)
: moorhen (waterside)
:
: I think you will find hens will eat your slugs as well!!!
: --
: Jane Ransom in Lancaster.

The only one we are likely to get in our garden is the starling - and we

get
plenty - but they're not doing a very good job :O((((

Same here. The slugs are under cover by day when the starlings are active
and the starlings are open ground birds.
Do hedgehogs eat slugs

[email protected] 02-11-2002 01:08 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

What the bloody hell is a glowworm?????

K 02-11-2002 02:24 PM

wrote in message
: What the bloody hell is a glowworm?????
:
How to show your ignorance in one easy step!!!!!

[email protected] 02-11-2002 02:44 PM

"K" wrote:

How to show your ignorance in one easy step!!

Not to mention lack of couth. And I ain't that %$#&$(^ couth myself!
It's cold. I'm cranky.

[email protected] 02-11-2002 06:50 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

To you Stuff your attitude up your ASS!!!!!!

Serena Blanchflower 02-11-2002 07:30 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 08:08:20 -0500 (EST),
wrote:

What the bloody hell is a glowworm?????

Have a look at
http://website.lineone.net/~galaxypi...20glow%20worms

HTH

--
Cheers, Serena

Where nothing is sure, everything is possible (Margaret Drabble)

Norman Tulloch 02-11-2002 08:53 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 13:50:22 -0500 (EST),
wrote:

To you
Stuff your attitude up your ASS!!!!!!

Aha, another sad inadequate.

Norman Tulloch

K 03-11-2002 09:42 AM

wrote in message
: To you Stuff your attitude up your ASS!!!!!!

Unfortunately as much as I love them, I don't have a donkey.

Carol Russell 03-11-2002 11:03 AM

wrote:

To you
Stuff your attitude up your ASS!!!!!!

Aha, another sad inadequate.

Norman Tulloch

He's only doing it for attention, perhaps he' s a child, if he's ignored
perhaps he'll go away.

--
Carol

Sue & Bob Hobden 03-11-2002 03:48 PM

"K" wrote in message
: What the bloody hell is a glowworm?????
:
How to show your ignorance in one easy step!!!!!

Sorry? He asked a straight question in a light hearted manner and get abuse
from you.
I bet he knows things you don't, Dahlias for example, so would you expect
abuse from him if you asked about them.
Or are you such a prude that "bloody hell" offends you?
For goodness sake lighten up and smile.

--
Bob
http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site

Janet Baraclough 03-11-2002 05:09 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

The message
from "Sue & Bob Hobden" contains these words:

"K" wrote in message
: What the bloody hell is a glowworm?????
:
How to show your ignorance in one easy step!!!!!

Sorry? He asked a straight question in a light hearted manner and get abuse
from you.
I bet he knows things you don't, Dahlias for example, so would you expect
abuse from him if you asked about them.

Probably, if the question was framed as "What the bloody hell do you
know about dahlias?".

Or are you such a prude that "bloody hell" offends you?
For goodness sake lighten up and smile.

It seems your sense of humour and sophisticated liberality regarding
free expression does not extend to K, ......how's your greenhouse?

Janet.

K 03-11-2002 06:26 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message
:
: "K" wrote in message
: ...
: : What the bloody hell is a glowworm?????
: :
: How to show your ignorance in one easy step!!!!!
:
:
: Sorry? He asked a straight question in a light hearted manner and get
abuse
: from you.
: I bet he knows things you don't, Dahlias for example, so would you expect
: abuse from him if you asked about them.
: Or are you such a prude that "bloody hell" offends you?
: For goodness sake lighten up and smile.
:
: --
: Bob
: http://www.pooleygreengrowers.org.uk/ about an allotment site
: in Runnymede, fighting for its existence against bureaucracy.

No, I am not a prude and I am not that easily offended, but I feel it is
hardly the way to get a civil answer. If I didn't know what a glowworm
was, I'd either look it up in a dictionary or put it into a search engine.
Why don't you answer his/her question instead of having a go at me. If you
think my reply was abuse, I think you are the one who needs to lighten up.

[email protected] 03-11-2002 06:29 PM

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote:

Sorry? He asked a straight question in a light hearted manner and get abuse
from you.

Another example of things I don't understand about British culture. I do
have some understanding that the words are rude indeed, and I for one would
not jump into a large group of real vs. virtual people and use such
language.
I'm not a prude; my vocabulary was greatly enhanced by a stint in the U.S.
Navy, and 30+ years of working with mostly male technical types. Later
involved, so it found a place where very few individuals go, in my
killfile.
So, what are folks picking these days, mostly hardy greens? I've got to
freeze a big bunch of Bok Choi, which will be welcome in the gloom of
winter.

Alan Gould 03-11-2002 08:18 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

In article ,
writes
So, what are folks picking these days, mostly hardy greens? I've got to
freeze a big bunch of Bok Choi, which will be welcome in the gloom of
winter.

We are picking curly kale, brussels sprouts, leaf-beet and cabbage at
present. We seldom freeze any green-stuff because there is usually
something or other available to pick fresh all year round. What we find
surprising is that we have only just cleared our last tomato and pepper
plants out of the greenhouse, having taken the remaining red and green
fruit from them. Even more surprising is that we have autumn raspberries
still ripening outside - though they have not developed any new stems
for next year's crop. A bed of delphiniums which were a breathtaking
sight in summertime seem to have become envious of their Michaelmas
Daisy neighbours, and have decided to break into bloom again. Even a big
clump of outdoor osteospermum doggedly carries on sending out its
lavender coloured flowers, despite several frosty mornings. This is
indeed a late autumn.
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.

Norman Tulloch 03-11-2002 10:05 PM

wrote:

What the bloody hell is a glowworm?????

If anybody wants more information, try the UK Glow-worm Survey site
at:
http://website.lineone.net/~galaxypix/#Survey

Norman Tulloch

K 03-11-2002 10:59 PM

wrote in message
: "Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote:
:
[...]
: Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods
: Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1200' elevation. NY WO G

That was what I though was ignorant, Gary, not the language but the general
lack of good manners. What I also find amazing that Bob should jump to this
person's defence and to the wrong conclusion that I am a prude and that I
abused someone when he knows nothing about me. I may be wrong, but I don't
recall this particular individual having posted to urg before and I
certainly don't remember him/her having introduced him/herself, although I
know it is not obligatory so to do. I wonder if Bob does not feel that the
second posting, directed to me, was in any way offensive? Perhaps he would
care to comment.

Sue & Bob Hobden 04-11-2002 06:17 PM

"K" wrote in message
That was what I though was ignorant, Gary, not the language but the

general
lack of good manners. What I also find amazing that Bob should jump to

this
person's defence and to the wrong conclusion that I am a prude and that I
abused someone when he knows nothing about me. I may be wrong, but I

don't
recall this particular individual having posted to urg before and I
certainly don't remember him/her having introduced him/herself, although I
know it is not obligatory so to do. I wonder if Bob does not feel that

the
second posting, directed to me, was in any way offensive? Perhaps he

would
care to comment.

I agree that the original posters comments was a little "informal" for a
(first ?)question, but it was just that, a question, and deserved a straight
answer. This answer was posted by someone else before I made my comment
about the way you jumped down his throat "K".
His second comment was understandable given your and others remarks, indeed
those uncalled for comments even stirred me to post and I seldom get
involved in arguments here. In this respect you have reaped what you sowed
(and it could have been a lot worse).

[email protected] 05-11-2002 04:10 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

I am sorry for posting (What the bloody hell is a glow worm?) I thought
bloody hell was funny appearently some people dont share my humor. I
could have easily checked my search engine to find out what a glow worm
was but thats not the reason I came into this discussion room and posted
my question. I came into this room to meet different people who share my
passion of gardening to communicate new ideas to each other. To (Sue&Bob
Hobden) The only people who read my post and knew exactly what I was
asking, a light hearted question.

Alan Gould 05-11-2002 07:24 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

In article ,
writes
I am sorry for posting (What the bloody hell is a glow worm?) I thought
bloody hell was funny appearently some people dont share my humor. I
could have easily checked my search engine to find out what a glow worm
was but thats not the reason I came into this discussion room and posted
my question. I came into this room to meet different people who share my
passion of gardening to communicate new ideas to each other. To (Sue&Bob
Hobden) The only people who read my post and knew exactly what I was
asking, a light hearted question.

Those of us who also have a passion for gardening and for discussing it
with like minded people welcome you to this group. Forget your first
posting and tell us about your garden, what you do for it and more
importantly what it does for you.
--
Alan & Joan Gould, North Lincs.

Hussein M. 05-11-2002 10:23 PM

Glowworms as biologcal control

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:10:27 -0500 (EST),
wrote:

I am sorry for posting (What the bloody hell is a glow worm?) I thought
bloody hell was funny appearently some people dont share my humor. I
could have easily checked my search engine to find out what a glow worm
was but thats not the reason I came into this discussion room and posted
my question. I came into this room to meet different people who share my
passion of gardening to communicate new ideas to each other. To (Sue&Bob
Hobden) The only people who read my post and knew exactly what I was
asking, a light hearted question.

Hi,

It's great isn't it how newsgroups develop into mini societies. I too
am a newbie here and was intrigued by the reaction to your message /
question.

I suppose I was biased by your email addy - the user name in CAPS
(shout out on high) appended to the domain webtv which got a frightful
reputation once upon a time hosting juvenile boors.

"heavelysmoke" seemed to be to have been transported to CAPS by the
domain.

I did wonder though, being familiar with heavenly smoke, why the
eponym was expressing himself (for so it turns out) in a manner
reminiscent of the antithesis.

There you have it from the newbie - he appreciates language in the
same way he appreciates plants. They are both organic. He is also
demonstrably capable of, and, I have to admit ofttimes is, being a
pompous little bugger.

The next thing, somebody posted an unfathomable follow up to a
message from you raving about Dahlias and about having grown them for
twenty years.

It's been interesting but at the end of the day I'm sure for most
people on this group the love of plants surmounts everything including
cussing language.

Glow worms? Gee, I seem to remember them as a kid and being
entranced. Since then they have vanished from my life and the thought
of encouraging glow worms into my garden is wondrous.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the memory is from my boyhood in the
Far East - but there again it might just possibly be from schooldays
in Dorset which definitely provides me with memories of slow worms.

So I will definitely be looking up some of the links that were
courteously provided as a result of your message, so thank you indeed
for that.

Hussein

"For of all gainful professions, nothing
is better, nothing more pleasing,
nothing more delightful, nothing better
becomes a well-bred man than
agriculture"

$$$$$$ Cicero $$$$$$

Alan Holmes 07-11-2002 10:19 PM

"Carol Russell" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message

The only one we are likely to get in our garden is the starling - and we

get
plenty - but they're not doing a very good job :O((((

Same here. The slugs are under cover by day when the starlings are active
and the starlings are open ground birds.
Do hedgehogs eat slugs

They do, but not enough to make a significant difference.

Alan