Old 01-11-2002, 12:41 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

Default Take care of Hedgehogs at Bonfire Time!

"Paul England" wrote in message
A bit O.T.,sholdn`t this be in uk.rec.cooking ?
regards Paul

You are on a gardening group where wildlife is a very important part
of our lives. They help us in all sorts of ways. How about taking
the suggestion seriously and think of all the people who work
tirelessly to protect and prevent cruelty to animals.

Iris McCanna

Old 01-11-2002, 01:35 PM
BAC

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message

"Paul England" wrote in message
A bit O.T.,sholdn`t this be in uk.rec.cooking ?
regards Paul

You are on a gardening group where wildlife is a very important part
of our lives. They help us in all sorts of ways. How about taking
the suggestion seriously and think of all the people who work
tirelessly to protect and prevent cruelty to animals.

As well as checking at this time of the year to make sure there are no
hedgehogs in garden bonfires, people might also take care at other times to
see there are no hedgehogs in long grass etc. they are about to 'strim'.
Strimmers can cause very unpleasant and sometimes fatal injuries to
hedgehogs.

Old 01-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Nick Wagg

Paul England wrote:

A bit O.T.,sholdn`t this be in uk.rec.cooking ?

On uk.music.folk we have just been discussing Hedgehog Pie!
--
Nick Wagg
TranscenData Europe Ltd, Oakington House, Oakington, Cambridge CB4 5AF
Old 02-11-2002, 09:47 AM
BAC

True. We have frogs 'hanging out' in long grass near our pond, and have to scare them away before strimming/mowing. We used to have a place near a canal, which was alive with frogs, and lawn mowing had to be suspended for a couple of weeks each year when the baby frogs were migrating from the water - there were zillions of them.
Old 02-11-2002, 09:55 AM
BAC

"DaveDay34" wrote in message
You are on a gardening group where wildlife is a very important part
of our lives. They help us in all sorts of ways. How about taking
the suggestion seriously and think of all the people who work
tirelessly to protect and prevent cruelty to animals.

As well as checking at this time of the year to make sure there are no
hedgehogs in garden bonfires, people might also take care at other times

see there are no hedgehogs in long grass etc. they are about to 'strim'.
Strimmers can cause very unpleasant and sometimes fatal injuries to
hedgehogs.

I presume that you're refering to the advice about preparing hedgehogs

before
cooking and I'd like to point out that no-one suggested that the hedgehogs
shouldn't be painlessly dispatched before being cooked.

I'd also like to point out though that 'stimming' them to death before

cooking
them is not recommended!

Dave.

(With tongue firmly placed in cheek!)