Old 02-11-2002, 10:39 AM
JennyC

Default Paulownia problem

"Martin & Anna Sykes" wrote in message
If I remember correctly, a common way of using paulownia is to cut

them down
to the ground each spring so that you get *very* vigorous growth and

huge
leaves. So, I don't think there would be any long-term damage to the

tree.
Afraid I haven't got any info about preventing woodpecker attack.

By the way, where did you get seed? I tried to get a young plant to

use as I
described, but my local garden centres only had one between them

which was a
large tree.

I've still got some seed that I collected from a large tree in
Bergerac in France a few years ago. I can send you some if you'd like
to give it a try.

Jenny

Old 03-11-2002, 02:12 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"Martin & Anna Sykes" wrote in message
If I remember correctly, a common way of using paulownia is to cut

them down
to the ground each spring so that you get *very* vigorous growth and

huge
leaves. So, I don't think there would be any long-term damage to the

tree.
Afraid I haven't got any info about preventing woodpecker attack.

By the way, where did you get seed? I tried to get a young plant to

use as I
described, but my local garden centres only had one between them

which was a
large tree.

If you cut the Paulownia down, yes you will get huge leaves, but no
flowers. I have found them to grow easily from seed. Marina, if
your tree doesn't grow again, I do have a seedling you can have :-)

Iris (McCanna)

Old 04-11-2002, 07:34 PM
cross

Barry & Iris McCanna wrote in message

"Martin & Anna Sykes" wrote in message
If I remember correctly, a common way of using paulownia is to cut

them down
to the ground each spring so that you get *very* vigorous growth and

huge
leaves. So, I don't think there would be any long-term damage to the

tree.
Afraid I haven't got any info about preventing woodpecker attack.

----------------
Thanks for the reply, I have one that I keep cutting back too, but the one
felled by woodpeckers was the one that I was going to let grow and flower.
;-(
The seed came from Chiltern Seeds, and germinated well.

Best wishes
Marina

If you cut the Paulownia down, yes you will get huge leaves, but no
flowers. I have found them to grow easily from seed. Marina, if
your tree doesn't grow again, I do have a seedling you can have :-)

Iris (McCanna)

----------
Thanks Iris, but as they germinated so well, I was able to pass paulownias
on to various members of the family.

My father decided to move his, and 2 more have appeared in the spot where he
dug it up! So he has offered them to me :-))

As they must have grown from small pieces of root, I guess that root
cuttings would work as a method of propagation.

Best wishes
Marina

Paulownia MS Tarzan 1972 alt.forestry 0 11-09-2003 06:16 AM
Paulownia tomentosa again (was: Identification please) Cereoid-UR12 Gardening 9 15-05-2003 01:56 PM
Thoughts on the Royal Paulownia Todd J. Gardening 7 12-02-2003 12:55 AM
Ever heard of Paulownia trees? Harri85274 Gardening 16 06-02-2003 02:36 AM
Ever heard of Paulownia trees? Catalpas better! Cereoid+10 Gardening 0 03-02-2003 10:17 AM