Old 02-11-2002, 01:11 PM
John Towill

Default urgent help lizards/newts

I know this is rather off topic but I am sure someone can help.
This AM I had to move some stacked timber on top of a railway sleeper
retaining wall. Beneath this were hibernating (?) a toad and several small
lizard like creatures with orange bellies. I have recovered them, making
sure there is a gap, with odd bits of wood. Will this be ok or are there
any other steps I need to take to ensure their survival, or am I too late?
Any advice gratefully received.

TIA
John T

Old 02-11-2002, 03:35 PM
Tumbleweed

"John Towill" wrote in message
I know this is rather off topic but I am sure someone can help.
This AM I had to move some stacked timber on top of a railway sleeper
retaining wall. Beneath this were hibernating (?) a toad and several small
lizard like creatures with orange bellies. I have recovered them, making
sure there is a gap, with odd bits of wood. Will this be ok or are there
any other steps I need to take to ensure their survival, or am I too late?
Any advice gratefully received.

TIA
John T

Almost certainly they will be newts, not lizards. Perhaps put some leaves
into the cavity where they are for added protection? And make sure that wind
cant blow in too easily?

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks before replying (but no email reply necessary to newsgroups)

Old 02-11-2002, 04:25 PM
BAC

"John Towill" wrote in message
I know this is rather off topic but I am sure someone can help.
This AM I had to move some stacked timber on top of a railway sleeper
retaining wall. Beneath this were hibernating (?) a toad and several small
lizard like creatures with orange bellies. I have recovered them, making
sure there is a gap, with odd bits of wood. Will this be ok or are there
any other steps I need to take to ensure their survival, or am I too late?
Any advice gratefully received.

As long as they (toad and probably newts) are now getting a similar degree
of shelter to that they had selected for themselves, they should be no worse
off. If you want local practical help and advice, you might consider ringing
your local wildlife trust. Contact details can be found by clicking the
'trusts' tab on http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/

HTH

Old 03-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Stephen Howard

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 12:11:49 -0000, "John Towill"
wrote:

I know this is rather off topic but I am sure someone can help.
This AM I had to move some stacked timber on top of a railway sleeper
retaining wall. Beneath this were hibernating (?) a toad and several small
lizard like creatures with orange bellies. I have recovered them, making
sure there is a gap, with odd bits of wood. Will this be ok or are there
any other steps I need to take to ensure their survival, or am I too late?
Any advice gratefully received.

Have a look here..

http://www.darkwave.org.uk/~caleb/ukurode.html

Regards,

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 08-11-2002, 09:49 AM
JLee

Well I really don't know. They need to maintain a specific temp for
hibernating or they will use up all their reserves for winter and not make
it to see spring. By removing the stuff, I assume that the new temperature
there would be different from the original situation, that's why they chose
this place in the begining. Winter has not started yet right? I am in Asia
so I dont' know if snow has started to fall yet.

If it has not, they probably would wake up and go find a better spot if this
new arrangement does not suit them. You might find them gone if you check
the place now.

Jeremy