Old 24-11-2004, 12:33 PM
Sacha

Default Myrtus ugni

Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
I'm very cautious....... ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 24-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
| flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
| deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
| I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
| I'm very cautious....... ;-)

A quick look led me to lots of sites, and another found essentially
no matches for 'Myrtus poisonous' except for a New York one that
muttered about myrtles including those terrible substances tannins
and volatile oils. I found at least one site that referred to the
family as being non-poisonous.

Obviously your decision, but I would have a go. I have still not
eaten more than the odd black nightshade berry and don't intend to.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Kay

In article , Sacha
writes
Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
I'm very cautious....... ;-)

Usher 'Plants used by Man' pub Constable 1974 doesn't mention M ugni,
but says of M communis 'the fruits are sometimes used as a condiment and
to relieve stomach upsets' .... that sounds hopeful.

otoh, he says of M obcordata 'an infusion of the bark and berries is
used locally to aid menstruation' ;-)

In absence of firm evidence, I reckon I'd be rather cautious!

--
Kay

Old 24-11-2004, 01:26 PM
pk

Sacha wrote:
Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it
both flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell
is deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies
but I'm very cautious....... ;-)

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/newsle...ctober2001.htm

Seems pretty unequivocal:

Ugni (Myrtus ugni)
This little berry is certainly gaining its fair share of attention lately.
Its the size of a large blueberry, has 5 times the flavour and makes the
most magnificent muffins you'll ever taste. And how do you know when to pick
it? - well you just walk outside into the garden and get bowled over by the
wonderful scent.

A small evergreen shrub with its delicate foliage they are far tougher than
they look. I've recently planted three in a shady position on the southern
side of the house, just the position Camellias love, and you should see the
little things grow. The area is well composted and mulched with a well
drained soil.

They seem happy in most soils and conditions and appreciate summer watering.
They can withstand mild frosts and don't mind being thirsty although this
would effect the fruit yield. A great shrub for the 'lazy' gardener as
they're virtually maintenance free. No pruning is needed and as far as we
can see they are relatively unaffected by pests.

The small glossy dark-green leaves are tinged with a beautiful red growth
when young and the plant becomes smothered with fluffy bell-shaped white or
pink flowers.

Like blueberries the fruit can be eaten fresh or cooked. Its gaining huge
exceptance in with gourmet chefs throughout the world for its unique
aromatic flavour and its reputed to make an ice-cream that will rival any.
The shrubs begin to yield ruit after 3 years when they should bear about one
kilogram per plant. The yield will then increase by one kilogram each year
as the plant matures.

pk

Old 24-11-2004, 04:29 PM
anton

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
I'm very cautious....... ;-)

Usher 'Plants used by Man' pub Constable 1974 doesn't mention M ugni,
but says of M communis 'the fruits are sometimes used as a condiment and
to relieve stomach upsets' .... that sounds hopeful.

I've nibbled a few M communis for fun and they're rather sloe-like. The
myrtle gin that I made (same method as sloe gin) has a fantastic scent but
the taste is slightly, er medicinal.

The plant itself is wonderful in flower, leaf and scent and has only been
slightly browned at the tips occasionally by by the East Anglian winter in a
partly sheltered North facing corner.

--
Anton

Old 24-11-2004, 05:29 PM
Kay

In article , anton
writes

I've nibbled a few M communis for fun and they're rather sloe-like. The
myrtle gin that I made (same method as sloe gin) has a fantastic scent but
the taste is slightly, er medicinal.

The plant itself is wonderful in flower, leaf and scent and has only been
slightly browned at the tips occasionally by by the East Anglian winter in a
partly sheltered North facing corner.

Yes, very beautiful, but here in Yorkshire I get flowers only in a good
summer. But it survives the winters with no problem.
--
Kay

Old 24-11-2004, 05:37 PM
Atar

Hello, they are perfectly edible, and my daughter harvests them and eats
them right away whenever she notices them. Although I am not aware of any
operations to raise it as a commercial fruit, it is commonly sold in some
parts of the world as a backyard fruit. I suppose that in the UK it is
primarily sold as an ornamental, but in my part of the world (northwestern
USA, similar climate) it is primarily sold as a fruit-bearer.

"Myrtus ugni" is now "Ugni molina". The fruits are sometimes called "Chilean
Guavas" or "Strawberry Guavas". There is another species of Ugni, quite
closely related to this one but with narrower leaves, that is equally
edible. Both are natives of the southern Andes in Chile.

They are not bad as guavas go, in fact they are better than the more
tropical Guavas, and in particular the guavas grown in Asia, but they have
a flavor that is a mixture of strawberry and...guava! (They are, in fact,
members of the Myrtaceae, whose fruits are often referred to as "guavas".
The "v" by the way is usually pronounced as if it were a "b", "guaba",
because that is how New World Spanish treats the letter "v"). Guavas have a
resinous smell like myrtle, which not everyone likes. If you like them,
enjoy them, they are perfectly safe despite the slightly medicinal smell!

An even tastier guava, I would say about the best of the Guavas, is the
fruit of Feijoa sellowiana, which unfortunately rarely bears in the UK. The
flavor is like Pineapple (hence the common name "Pineapple Guava") with a
scent of Passiflora caerulea (vaguely sweet-pea like if that helps), and
the seeds are tiny and unobtrusive. One of the tastiest fruits in the
world, and unusual for being so good without ever having been bred for
bigger and better fruits. The small tree/large shrub it grows on is also
very beautiful, with huge (for a myrtle) candy-pink blossoms (the petals of
which are eaten by the parrots that pollinate it, and interestingly they
are quite palatable to humans as well; they are traditionally added to
fruit salad) and very attractive leathery leaves and rugged, olive-like
branches. Strangely cold-hardy for a native of southern Brazil.

Bon appetit.

Atar

--
Enjoy reading about special plants from interesting parts of the world on my

Old 24-11-2004, 06:01 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Atar writes:

| They are not bad as guavas go, in fact they are better than the more
| tropical Guavas, and in particular the guavas grown in Asia, ...

One of the problems with the true guava (Psidium guajava) is that
it does not do well when picked unripe. The ones you can buy in
the UK are scarcely worth eating, but the ones of my childhood
could be delicious. Of course, you have to like chewing on small,
rounded gravel ....

| An even tastier guava, I would say about the best of the Guavas, is the
| fruit of Feijoa sellowiana, which unfortunately rarely bears in the UK. The
| flavor is like Pineapple (hence the common name "Pineapple Guava") with a
| scent of Passiflora caerulea (vaguely sweet-pea like if that helps), and
| the seeds are tiny and unobtrusive. One of the tastiest fruits in the
| world, and unusual for being so good without ever having been bred for
| bigger and better fruits. The small tree/large shrub it grows on is also
| very beautiful, with huge (for a myrtle) candy-pink blossoms (the petals of
| which are eaten by the parrots that pollinate it, and interestingly they
| are quite palatable to humans as well; they are traditionally added to
| fruit salad) and very attractive leathery leaves and rugged, olive-like
| branches. Strangely cold-hardy for a native of southern Brazil.

It seems to do well as a pot plant with me, and came through last
winter intact. And then flowered!

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-11-2004, 06:06 PM
Sacha

On 24/11/04 13:26, in article , "pk"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it
both flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell
is deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies
but I'm very cautious....... ;-)

http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/newsle...ctober2001.htm

Seems pretty unequivocal:

Ugni (Myrtus ugni)
This little berry is certainly gaining its fair share of attention lately.
Its the size of a large blueberry, has 5 times the flavour and makes the
most magnificent muffins you'll ever taste. And how do you know when to pick
it? - well you just walk outside into the garden and get bowled over by the
wonderful scent.

The scent is *terrific*. Last year, I was trying to figure out what it was
near our front door that had such a wonderful scent and never got to that.
Its flowers and berries are so small that I hadn't even thought of it. I
certainly don't see the berries as being the size of a large blueberry but
that might be because of soil, position, a not-very-good summer etc.

snip of very useful info. Thank you!
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 24-11-2004, 06:22 PM
griz

anton wrote:

"Kay" wrote in message
In article , Sacha
writes
Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
I'm very cautious....... ;-)

Usher 'Plants used by Man' pub Constable 1974 doesn't mention M ugni,
but says of M communis 'the fruits are sometimes used as a condiment and
to relieve stomach upsets' .... that sounds hopeful.

I've nibbled a few M communis for fun and they're rather sloe-like. The
myrtle gin that I made (same method as sloe gin) has a fantastic scent but
the taste is slightly, er medicinal.

In Sardinia (Italy), they make a really nice liqueur based on myrtle
berries and leaves. They use almost pure alcohol and sugar, rather than
gin.

The leaves are also used in cooking, expecially roast piglet / pork

Old 24-11-2004, 06:22 PM
Sacha

On 24/11/04 16:29, in article , "anton"
wrote:

snip

I've nibbled a few M communis for fun and they're rather sloe-like. The
myrtle gin that I made (same method as sloe gin) has a fantastic scent but
the taste is slightly, er medicinal.

The plant itself is wonderful in flower, leaf and scent and has only been
slightly browned at the tips occasionally by by the East Anglian winter in a
partly sheltered North facing corner.

We have other types of Myrtle in the garden (some self-seeded which I always
like to see) but it had never occurred to me to try the berries. And
speaking of M. communis, is that the one that is supposed to be traditional
for royal brides' bouquets? Because if it is, Ray thinks they may have the
wrong plant and that the 'fertile myrtle' was Myrtus lechleriana, because it
flowers during the months weddings are more often held. We have one of the
latter here grown by Edward Hyams who describes his collection as a 'cult of
myrtles'. The M. lechleriana is now known as Ammomytus luma.
And Ray has just recalled someone telling him that Queen Victoria was said
to gorge herself on the berries of some myrtle or other -- maybe the lovely,
strawberry scented one or Myrtus lechleriana? A sprig of myrtle was in her
bouquet and was planted at Osborne House so I wonder which *that* was.
--

Sacha
(remove the weeds for email)

Old 24-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

The scent is *terrific*. Last year, I was trying to figure out what it was
near our front door that had such a wonderful scent and never got to that.
Its flowers and berries are so small that I hadn't even thought of it. I
certainly don't see the berries as being the size of a large blueberry but
that might be because of soil, position, a not-very-good summer etc.

One article said that there were two strains, one with a smaller
berry. Anyway, I looked at Usher, and there was an entry for
Chilean guava pointing to Myrtus ugni, so I think that the lack
of an entry is an oversight.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-11-2004, 09:23 PM
Sally Thompson

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 12:33:02 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

Hay anyone actually tried eating the berries of these. We have it both
flowering and berrying in the garden at the moment and the smell is
deliciously like strawberries when you crush the berries.
I've found a site that says they're edible and can be used in jellies but
I'm very cautious....... ;-)

Sacha, I've come rather late into this thread but we bought and ate
myrtle jam in Corsica and it was delicious (and we lived to tell the
tale).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Reply To address is spam trap

Ugni molinae Sacha[_11_] United Kingdom 13 22-11-2013 10:49 AM
ugni molinae Pam Moore United Kingdom 3 02-04-2008 09:19 AM
Myrtus Luma / Luma Apiculata Han Chung Australia 0 17-05-2004 05:08 AM