Old 05-12-2004, 03:10 PM
Bruce

Industrial 'soot' is not always organic in origin and can contain poisonous
chemicals which is why people are quite rightly wary of soot from an unknown
source. Why do certain posters get so het up and abusive? Why do you think I
am an "organist" - I never mastered the piano. The group would be more
enjoyable if we could concentrate on what I assume is a common interest.

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:38:16 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

[snip]

Old gardeners used to add it direct to the soil. I believe that

it
has a
reasonably high nitrogen content and it darkens the soil so

helping
it to
absorb heat. It has fallen out of favour because it is no longer
safe to
assume that it has a 100% organic origin, which would include

coal.

That last sentence is ambiguous and both the possible

interpretations
are flawed.

What wood go you know which is not of organic origin?
What coal do you know which is not of organic origin?

One could add which fossil hydrocarbons used to make pesticides are
not organic in origin.

Indeed. Tortuous are the ways of those willing to follow the paths of
faddism.
I wonder if the organists are aware that plants cannot absorb much by
way of organic molecules, and that the organic manures they apply to
the soil cannot be absorbed until they have been ripped apart into
inorganic fragments

Franz

Old 06-12-2004, 10:11 AM
Klara

In message , Alan Gould
writes
I use wood-fire chimney soot in our organic growing system. It is
matured for several months before use, then liberally mixed with soil
before application. Much the same applies to garden bonfire ash.
Clinker and ash from solid fuel are used only for path wor

After the help on this thread, I've just put the wood ash into a plastic
bag and put it into the shed, to be used in the spring. Is that what you
mean by matured, or do I have to do something more sophisticated?

Thanks!
--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 06-12-2004, 11:22 AM
Klara

In message , Klara
writes
In message , Alan Gould
writes
I use wood-fire chimney soot in our organic growing system. It is
matured for several months before use, then liberally mixed with soil
before application. Much the same applies to garden bonfire ash.
Clinker and ash from solid fuel are used only for path wor

After the help on this thread, I've just put the wood ash into a
plastic bag and put it into the shed, to be used in the spring. Is that
what you mean by matured, or do I have to do something more
sophisticated?

Thanks!

Oops - I meant the soot ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 06-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Alan Gould

In article , Klara
writes

I use wood-fire chimney soot in our organic growing system. It is
matured for several months before use, then liberally mixed with soil
before application. Much the same applies to garden bonfire ash.
Clinker and ash from solid fuel are used only for path wor

After the help on this thread, I've just put the wood ash into a
plastic bag and put it into the shed, to be used in the spring. Is that
what you mean by matured, or do I have to do something more
sophisticated?

Thanks!

Oops - I meant the soot ...

Yes to the ash or the soot. Either would be better kept in an open
container than in an airtight bag, so that they can 'breathe'.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Klara

In message , Alan Gould
writes
[...]

Houseplant Ivy: like black soot falling from leaves Bob H United Kingdom 5 13-06-2007 05:32 PM
Coal Soot Jeanne Stockdale United Kingdom 12 06-06-2005 01:24 PM
Ashes & Soot in Pond stricks760 Ponds 3 28-11-2003 05:44 PM
soot on my camellia? John Martin United Kingdom 4 26-01-2003 03:06 PM
Kyoto Treaty & Soot From Burning Wood Robert Cohen alt.forestry 2 11-11-2002 04:14 PM