Old 05-11-2002, 03:42 PM
Stephen Howard

Default White mushrooms/toadstools in lawn

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 14:18:10 +0000 (UTC), Lynda Thornton
wrote:

Further descriptive info - they are various sizes now, the smallest from
about 1-2cm, the largest 3-4 cm, some are almost frilly around the edge,
some just smooth and round (I'm sure they are the same kind though, just
some variations) and some of them are almost like shallow trumpets with
a small indentation in the middle, while some are smooth with no
indentation. The gills don't seem to extend down the stem, they just
seem to be under the 'parasol'.

Hmmm, I'll have to have a spell in 'the study'....

They could be fairy ring Champignon ( a truly gorgeous fungi ) but
then I'd have expected there to be definite rings of them... unless
it's their first year of colonization.

Then again, the colour would be more buff than cream - and there'd
perhaps be a small raised lump ( or umbo ) in the centre of the cap.

If I can find anything else that fits the bill I'll let you know - but
the description of the gills rules out the nasty Clitocybes.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 05-11-2002, 03:47 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 13:01:16 -0000, "Michael Savage"
wrote:

Don't think I'm allergic to blewits 'cos I used to eat all I could find when
I was a countryside warden - I think they may be my favourite wild fungi.
This was definitely Wood Blewit - lovely blue-lilac gills, tall slender
stem, no trace of cortina. I guess the juniper gave it the conditions it
needs - I used to find lots in shady hedgerows so not so dissimilar...also
it's a mature garden.

That sounds like the wee beasty!
I'm completely jealous of your non-allergy.. I just wanted you to know
that!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old 05-11-2002, 04:31 PM
William Tasso

Stephen Howard wrote:
If I can find anything else that fits the bill I'll let you know - but
the description of the gills rules out the nasty Clitocybes.

phew - that's certainly a blessed relief ;o)
--
William Tasso - The road to hell is littered with fallen webmasters.
http://www.tbdata.com/

Old 07-12-2002, 05:55 PM
MG

On Mon, 04 Nov 2002 09:32:31 +0000, Nick Wagg
wrote:

Kate Morgan wrote:

I thought that this was going to be a fairy circle question, we have
had them before and some of the men say that they would stand in the
middle and wish for Charlie Dimmock, is she still a favourite I
wonder :-)

I'd wish for Rachel de Thame.

Oh God, me too! She's such a babe!

Mark