GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Christmas Cactus! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/86943-christmas-cactus.html)

Connor T 27-11-2004 09:28 AM

Christmas Cactus!

Hi,

My christmas cactus has flowered amazingly this year ( If a little early! )

However there seems conflicting advice on feeding whilst flowering, what are
the thoughts here?

Mine has gone quite red on the leaves, and slightly droopy, i guess with the
weight of the flowers...

Thanks!
Dan

June Hughes 29-11-2004 09:37 AM

In message , Peter Stockdale
writes

Snip Christmas cactus

Mine flowers amazingly every year. Assuming like me you are not bothered as
to the time of the year it flowers - then I believe it is better to leave
well alone. Just carry on with your usual watering and feeding methods
regardless of in or out of flower.
I know some reckon that a period outside in the summer will benefit the
plant. I believe that its best to leave the plant where it is happiest on
average - not shuffle it about.

This thread prompted me to remember mine - left somewhere in the garden
and forgotten. I generally put it outside in the summer. It usually
flowers with great gusto at this time of year, coming back inside in
September, before the frost. I have brought it in this morning. It
looks rather sad, with not a bud in sight. I hope it is not a gonner.
--
June Hughes

Peter Stockdale 29-11-2004 05:48 PM

"June Hughes" wrote in message
This thread prompted me to remember mine - left somewhere in the garden

and forgotten. I generally put it outside in the summer. It usually
flowers with great gusto at this time of year, coming back inside in
September, before the frost. I have brought it in this morning. It looks
rather sad, with not a bud in sight. I hope it is not a gonner.
--
June Hughes

Another good reason for not "shuffling it about" - forgetful ladies !
I had not thought of that reason.
Seriously - I hope the recovery period is not too long - you could have some
flowers for Easter if you speak very nicely to it.
The bright green leaves go a browny green when frosted and will not recover.
Hopefully you will get some new growth to replace any damaged by frost.

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com