Old 27-11-2004, 11:53 AM
McBad

Default Copper Beech Hedge Trimming Question..

Hi, can anyone advise on the best approach with our copper beech hedge.

It was planted three years ago and has not reached it's full intended
height. During this summer the highest straggly shoots did get to nearly
the intended height.

Question is should we leave the hedge to develop, just cutting anything that
has gone outside the intended shape, or should we cut back again quite
severely (a third of height) to encourage further bushing out?

Thanks,

M.

Old 27-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
McBad wrote:
Hi, can anyone advise on the best approach with our copper beech hedge.

It was planted three years ago and has not reached it's full intended
height. During this summer the highest straggly shoots did get to nearly
the intended height.

Question is should we leave the hedge to develop, just cutting anything that
has gone outside the intended shape, or should we cut back again quite
severely (a third of height) to encourage further bushing out?

My advice is the latter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-11-2004, 06:14 PM
McBad

"Peter Stockdale" wrote in message

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
McBad wrote:
Hi, can anyone advise on the best approach with our copper beech hedge.

It was planted three years ago and has not reached it's full intended
height. During this summer the highest straggly shoots did get to

nearly
the intended height.

Question is should we leave the hedge to develop, just cutting anything
that
has gone outside the intended shape, or should we cut back again quite
severely (a third of height) to encourage further bushing out?

My advice is the latter.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick is correct - a beech hedge should only be allowed to increase width

and
height by max. 6 ins p.a. to retain body. The less height and width

increase
permitted each year - the better the hedge will be. It's not just a matter
of cutting back by a third of the height.

Pete

Thanks both. Will cut it back a bit further over the next couple of weeks
to allow 6" on last years position. We're in no hurry with this one and are
looking for a good end result.

Cheers,

M.

Old 27-11-2004, 09:38 PM
Franz Heymann

"McBad" wrote in message
Hi, can anyone advise on the best approach with our copper beech

hedge.

It was planted three years ago and has not reached it's full

intended
height. During this summer the highest straggly shoots did get to

nearly
the intended height.

Question is should we leave the hedge to develop, just cutting

anything that
has gone outside the intended shape, or should we cut back again

quite
severely (a third of height) to encourage further bushing out?

Annually reduce each year's new growth to aout a third of its length.
That way the hedge takes a little longer to reach the intended height,
but is will be bushier.

Franz