Old 03-11-2002, 04:24 PM
Paul England

Default Herbs in pots - any probs?

I am planning to grow culinary herbs in 11 inch clay pots. Are there any
varieties which may be unsuitable for pots - I can probably discount large
and lumpy plants like Lemongrass and Rosemary. I plan to use half top-soil
(acidic) and half compost. Aspect is East facing through to South.
Thanks in advance and with apologies to anyone called Rosemary or
Lemongrass. Please feel free to top-post your reply - unless you are a
lapsed catholic or a member of the Flat Earth Society - sorry no concessions
here.
Regards Paul England

Old 03-11-2002, 06:48 PM
Emrys Davies

'Paul',

Some ideas he

http://www.backyardgardener.com/herb/herbc.html

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 06-11-2002, 03:12 PM
Druss

"Paul England" wrote in message
I am planning to grow culinary herbs in 11 inch clay pots. Are there any
varieties which may be unsuitable for pots - I can probably discount large
and lumpy plants like Lemongrass and Rosemary. I plan to use half top-soil
(acidic) and half compost. Aspect is East facing through to South.
Thanks in advance and with apologies to anyone called Rosemary or
Lemongrass. Please feel free to top-post your reply - unless you are a
lapsed catholic or a member of the Flat Earth Society - sorry no

concessions
here.
Regards Paul England

Most herbs will be fine in pots in the short term, even Rosemary will grow
quite happily if kept within limits. If you trim the top of the plant
regularly and keep it down to a managable size it seems to be able to cope
quite well. At least I kept a few in small pots for rather too long prior to
planting them out.

Of course if you find it grow too big for the pot, you can always turf it
out, take a few cuttings and carry on in a few months time.
Duncan

Old 12-11-2002, 11:54 AM
michaela

Paul England wrote in message
I am planning to grow culinary herbs in 11 inch clay pots. Are there any
varieties which may be unsuitable for pots - I can probably discount large
and lumpy plants like Lemongrass and Rosemary.

never tried lemongrass, but rosemary should be fine in an 11 inch pot.
I plan to use half top-soil
(acidic) and half compost.

Thymes prefer chalky soil, there are others with similar preferences but I
can't think which ones right now.
I would suggest adding a generous amount of grit or sharp sand to the mix
for most herbs.

Keep mint segregated as its a bit vigorous (in fact the runners can often
infiltrate nearby pots)

michaela.

Neighbour Probs - Gardening Related Martin United Kingdom 10 07-10-2003 11:49 PM
Ligustrum Probs......trying to stop it dying :o( Derek Bonsai 0 16-06-2003 07:05 PM
Flymo probs! JK Gardening 0 04-05-2003 06:08 PM
Capsicum & Chilli Probs FASTEDDY Australia 0 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
Tree probs caused by Ivy Mike United Kingdom 8 02-03-2003 08:59 AM