Old 29-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Bob Hobden

Default Allotment holders beware

I have read an article in the Spectator today 27th Nov 2004 where someone
on her way to meet some Corporate Lawyers in London was arrested, treated
rather unprofessionally, and locked up for hours for having a Swiss Army
Multitool in their briefcase which they were carrying in their car.
This commonplace tool has a locking blade and it made me wonder about the
sharp kitchen knife (fixed blade) we use for cutting veg on our allotment.
Now with our allotments being subject to constant raids by villains we use a
Landrover 90 van and carry our tools, including the knife, with us.
We must therefore be open to arrest at any time whilst in the Landy, which
also contains hammers, seceuters, various sharp gardening tools.......and I
bet we aren't the only allotment folk that carry such things.
How the hell are we supposed to cut veg on our allotments if we can't carry
a decent knife?

--
Regards
Bob

Old 29-11-2004, 03:20 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

[...]

Seems like an over-reaction. The law forbids you to carry an offensive
weapon, and that can include anything from a hydrogen bomb to a bodkin,
but it's qualified buy "without lawful excuse" (OWTTE).

I carry a lock-knife with a three and one eighth inch blade most of the
time, whether I'm indoors, in the garden or out and about. It's always
in a pouch - (not really a sheath, because it only fits in when folded)
- unless I'm using it.

I should be more than unhappy if I were detained, and would very shortly
be preparing litigation.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Brian Watson

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

I carry a lock-knife with a three and one eighth inch blade most of the
time, whether I'm indoors, in the garden

...or out and about.

That's the bit that could get you into trouble.

--
Brian
"Reality rarely lives up to TV, usually because reality has a smaller budget

Old 29-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Tumbleweed

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

I carry a lock-knife with a three and one eighth inch blade most of the
time, whether I'm indoors, in the garden

...or out and about.

That's the bit that could get you into trouble.

The full story is pretty scary IMHO, not just because of sheer stupidity of
the incident itself, but the horrendous waste of police manpower at a time
when they complain about being shortstaffed.

--
Tumbleweed

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Old 29-11-2004, 11:42 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...

I carry a lock-knife with a three and one eighth inch blade most of the
time, whether I'm indoors, in the garden

...or out and about.

That's the bit that could get you into trouble.

Not if you have a lawful reason for using it, it mustn't.

I use the word 'mustn't rather than 'can't', because it can cause
trouble, but not within the law.

Old 29-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Brian Watson

"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in

message
k...

I carry a lock-knife with a three and one eighth inch blade most of

the
time, whether I'm indoors, in the garden

...or out and about.

That's the bit that could get you into trouble.

Not if you have a lawful reason for using it, it mustn't.

I use the word 'mustn't rather than 'can't', because it can cause
trouble, but not within the law.

The legal issue is that the carrier must be able to show due cause for
carrying it.

Old 29-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Brian Watson" contains these words:
"Jaques d'Alltrades" wrote in

message
k...

I carry a lock-knife with a three and one eighth inch blade most of

the
time, whether I'm indoors, in the garden

...or out and about.

That's the bit that could get you into trouble.

Not if you have a lawful reason for using it, it mustn't.

I use the word 'mustn't rather than 'can't', because it can cause
trouble, but not within the law.

The legal issue is that the carrier must be able to show due cause for
carrying it.

I use it for all sorts of things in my daily toil: wire-stripping;
cutting string; cutting cardboard for packaging, etc.

When I'm in subunderkeeper mode it's used for cutting baling twine,
wood, plastic pipes; cleaning game; etc.

Killing horseflies: http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/ked002.jpg in the
garden; cutting string, twine, etc; oh, and whatever gardeners and
bodgers do in gardens.

If I have it when out and about, say, driving to a mushrooming spot
(FDVO mushrooms), and apart from cutting the stipes, I nearly always
take my sandwiches in kit form, so, usually I slice the bread first (or
take rolls) but slice cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, onions etc as
required.

I nearly always have pencils and something to sketch on with me when
out, and a knife is useful for 101 other things which you only find out
about when you need one.

To me, a knife is a tool and a friend.

Old 29-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Klara

In message , Jaques
d'Alltrades writes
To me, a knife is a tool and a friend.

We gave our middle daughter a Swiss Army knife when she set off around
the world. It was stolen in India, in a women's refuge where she was
working; she was really upset, so when she got to Australia, we got
relatives to buy her a new one for Christmas. She got it home, but then
she was off to Brazil, and had to carry her backpack on board for some
reason - so, of course, no knives. She thought she'd be clever, and she
handed it in to Lost Property, hoping to retrieve it on her return - but
since 9/11 they immediately destroy all "weapons" handed in... We got
her yet another last Christmas....

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 29-11-2004, 11:56 PM
Bob Hobden

"Martin" wrote
after"Bob Hobden"
[...]

See
http://www.mikepower.squarespace.com/
--

Quite, so where does it leave allotment people like us, that carry a large
knife in our vehicle? Some say if you have reason to have it it's OK but

Old 30-11-2004, 02:24 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:

Quite, so where does it leave allotment people like us, that carry a large
knife in our vehicle? Some say if you have reason to have it it's OK but
I've heard of a Thames Waterman that got badly beaten and arrested for
carrying a knife, and that's a tool of his trade, he only got off after his
union got involved.
We haven't got a union.

Isn't there an allotments' society of some sort. I'm pretty sure there is.

Old 30-11-2004, 12:52 PM
jane

~
~ Quite, so where does it leave allotment people like us, that carry a large
~ knife in our vehicle? Some say if you have reason to have it it's OK but
~ I've heard of a Thames Waterman that got badly beaten and arrested for
~ carrying a knife, and that's a tool of his trade, he only got off after his
~ union got involved.
~ We haven't got a union.
~
~Isn't there an allotments' society of some sort. I'm pretty sure there is.
~

www.nsalg.org.uk but they don't seem to do much outside of the legal
side of keeping plots. Even their website's links to FAQs and what to
do when are just the RHS and BBC websites.

I have a stainless swiss army gardening knife I got a couple of years
ago for the allotment and it's got both a convex and a concave blade
together with a budding knife. It's one of the most useful tools I've
got, having gone through several inferior gardening knives, and in
fact Victorinox only deserve one huge slap on the wrist for the design
as they left off a hoop for securing it to a chain so it's easy to
drop and lose... so far so good, though.

But then anyone who stops me for having it will have had to search
through my trug of hand tools and (if it's on the way back home) a
pile of veg, so should be under no illusions as to why it's there :-)

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 30-11-2004, 02:58 PM
bigboard

Martin wrote:

I have a stainless swiss army gardening knife I got a couple of years
ago for the allotment and it's got both a convex and a concave blade
together with a budding knife. It's one of the most useful tools I've
got, having gone through several inferior gardening knives, and in
fact Victorinox only deserve one huge slap on the wrist for the design
as they left off a hoop for securing it to a chain so it's easy to
drop and lose... so far so good, though.

I can't find this on the web. Is it sold as gardening knife?

It seems like it would make a good Christmas present.

Found this site which has a selection on Swiss Army Knives for gardeners:

http://www.walshbrothers.co.uk/Updat..._penknives.htm

HTH.

--
I have a simple philosophy:

Fill what's empty.
Empty what's full.
Scratch where it itches.
-- A. R. Longworth

Old 30-11-2004, 04:34 PM
jane

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:09:04 +0100, Martin wrote:

~On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 11:52:13 +0000 (UTC),
~
wrote:
~
~~The message
~~from "Bob Hobden" contains these words:
~~
[...]

I got it from a stall at Chelsea in 03.

~It seems like it would make a good Christmas present.
yes, but they seem to have, as you noticed, discontinued it in favour
of three separate knives.

That's torn it. I'll probably lose it now it's irreplaceable :-(

Nope! Found it!!!! See the second from bottom (and hope they still
have some) code AK39116

Old 30-11-2004, 04:35 PM
jane

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 13:58:09 +0000, bigboard
wrote:

~Martin wrote:
~
[...]
you beat me to it huge grin

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 30-11-2004, 05:06 PM
jane

wrote:

~Martin wrote:
~
[...]
oops replying again googling for 39116 and victorinox turns up a
few more locations, mostly overseas, but there's one here

http://www.burton-mccall.co.uk/dsp_d...id=1&fromrec=1

The size is given wrong in the Walsh Brothers one. No way is it that
small! I'd say 3.5".

I also found it on a German site, saying it's 10cm long (I agree) and
that it was in the catalogue in August. Assuming aufnehmen means to
receive...

I might have to order a spare.

--
jane