Old 29-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Registered User

Default OT - tumble drier fluff?

Sorry for going ot here, but i've been thinking about spring (it's the only thing that's keeping me going through this particularly wet and minging scottish winter). Does anyone know if birds like tumble drier fluff for nesting material, or is it in any way bad for them (because of detergent chemicals etc)? It may seem a rather daft thing to worry about but I'm the sort of person who frets about putting the wrong coloured glass in the recycling bins (where do i put the blue glass? do i put it in the green bin? the brown? the clear??? Help!)

Many thanks!
Old 29-11-2004, 02:16 PM
Neil Jones

"undergroundbob" wrote
in message ...

Sorry for going ot here, but i've been thinking about spring (it's the
only thing that's keeping me going through this particularly wet and
minging scottish winter). Does anyone know if birds like tumble drier
fluff for nesting material, or is it in any way bad for them (because
of detergent chemicals etc)? It may seem a rather daft thing to worry
about but I'm the sort of person who frets about putting the wrong
coloured glass in the recycling bins (where do i put the blue glass?

do
i put it in the green bin? the brown? the clear??? Help!)

The clear bin, according to my LA.

Regards

Neil

Old 29-11-2004, 02:53 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from undergroundbob
contains these words:

Sorry for going ot here, but i've been thinking about spring (it's the
only thing that's keeping me going through this particularly wet and
minging scottish winter). Does anyone know if birds like tumble drier
fluff for nesting material, or is it in any way bad for them (because
of detergent chemicals etc)?

If the washing machine is reasonably efficient, the residual chemicals
will all be that UV-reprocessing stuff which bonds to the fibres, so,
I'm sure the birds would love it.

It also goes well in compost, or under long-lived plants. The wool is a
source of slow-release phosphates and some nitrogen.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 29-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Mike

Sorry for going ot here, but i've been thinking about spring (it's the
only thing that's keeping me going through this particularly wet and
minging scottish winter). Does anyone know if birds like tumble drier
fluff for nesting material, or is it in any way bad for them (because
of detergent chemicals etc)? It may seem a rather daft thing to worry
about but

When I was the 'househusband' when Joan was working, I collected all of the
Drier Fluff, made it into a ball and suspended it in an old net which fruit
comes in, and hung it up for them to peck out for their nest
building/lining.

Totally ignored and when it rained it turned into a soggy mess.

Don't bother now.

Mike

Old 29-11-2004, 04:27 PM
Registered User