GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Coir block suppliers? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/87016-coir-block-suppliers.html)

Michael Savage 29-11-2004 01:53 PM

Coir block suppliers?

Hi

Not having much joy with Google finding suppliers of coir blocks - B&Q did
them last year but don't think they're going to any more. Got one place
(Fertile Fibre) but would like to try a few. Any ideas? Planning on using
coir rather than B&Q peat-free cos had a lot of problems with poor growth
and fungus gnats last year...

Michael

Franz Heymann 29-11-2004 02:21 PM

"Michael Savage" wrote in
message ...
Hi

Not having much joy with Google finding suppliers of coir blocks -

B&Q did
them last year but don't think they're going to any more. Got one

place
(Fertile Fibre) but would like to try a few. Any ideas? Planning on

using
coir rather than B&Q peat-free cos had a lot of problems with poor

growth
and fungus gnats last year...

I tried reduced-peat compost last season, and am unhappy about the
amount of thick white mould which is growing on the surface of all the
pots in which I used it.

What is the status of good old-fashioned John Innes no1 and no 2
nowadays?

Franz

Ford Prefect 01-12-2004 06:00 PM

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:21:16 +0000 (UTC), "Franz Heymann"
wrote:

"Michael Savage" wrote in
message ...
Hi

Not having much joy with Google finding suppliers of coir blocks -

B&Q did
them last year but don't think they're going to any more. Got one

place
(Fertile Fibre) but would like to try a few. Any ideas? Planning on

using
coir rather than B&Q peat-free cos had a lot of problems with poor

growth
and fungus gnats last year...

I tried reduced-peat compost last season, and am unhappy about the
amount of thick white mould which is growing on the surface of all the
pots in which I used it.

What is the status of good old-fashioned John Innes no1 and no 2
nowadays?

Franz

When you find somewhere please post the address to the group, tried to
order them in bulk from a website but you had to order by phone and no
one was answering no matter what time of day I rang.
Ford.

Michael Savage 01-12-2004 10:49 PM

wrote:

[...]

Spoke to Fertile Fibre yesterday - very helpful, I'm going to see if we need
any coir for work (I'm in a Northern Ireland parks dept) and see if we can
do business. If FF were the site you were trying, they are moving premises
so that might explain no answer. Anyway, will post progress.

Michael

Ford Prefect 06-12-2004 07:26 PM

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:49:38 -0000, "Michael Savage"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Cheers Michael.
Ford.

Michael Savage 08-12-2004 09:44 AM

(snip)
When you find somewhere please post the address to the group, tried to
order them in bulk from a website but you had to order by phone and no
one was answering no matter what time of day I rang.
Ford.

Spoke to Fertile Fibre yesterday - very helpful, I'm going to see if we

need
any coir for work (I'm in a Northern Ireland parks dept) and see if we

can
do business. If FF were the site you were trying, they are moving

premises
so that might explain no answer. Anyway, will post progress.

Michael

Cheers Michael.
Ford.

Hi all

I've spoken again to Fertile Fibre and although we aren't going to be buying
anything for work yet (need to do some work on our Nursery systems first!)
the guy I spoke to, Matthew, is going to price up delivery to Northern
Ireland of smaller quantity for garden use so hopefully I'm sorted. They've
just moved so phone number is 01432 853111
and url
http://www.fertilefibre.co.uk/
Matthew said google seems to not pick them up with high relevance...
I'd recommend on experience so far.

Michael

Ford Prefect 08-12-2004 06:38 PM

On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:44:23 -0000, "Michael Savage"
wrote:

(snip)
[...]

Cheers for that Mike, I'll probably wait now 'till after christmas to
contact them but I'll probably order from them, my roaches and snails
seem to love the stuff for substrate and to nibble on and peat is
getting expensive.
Ford.

greenandgreen 23-09-2005 01:03 PM

hi visit http://www.greeneem.com they are India's largest producers and exporters of CoCo Coir Peat

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
On Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:44:23 -0000, "Michael Savage"

(snip)

Mike Lyle 23-09-2005 07:39 PM

greenandgreen wrote:
hi visit http://www.greeneem.com they are India's largest producers
and exporters of CoCo Coir Peat

[...]

This brings out my tree-hugging tendency. I know India and Sri Lanka
are grownups and can make up their own minds, and I know there are
absolute mountains of coir lying about going begging; but I can't
escape the feeling that it's short-termism for a country to export
its plant waste in any significant quantity. No, of course it isn't
like peat-bogs; but I do wonder.

Musing further, there are arid lands in India and elsewhere which
could use the stuff better than we can: maybe we should set up a
Compost-Aid programme -- it could be fronted by some pop star whose
work is known to be appropriately shitty.

--
Mike.