Old 03-11-2002, 06:32 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default Anyone want some Ipomea seeds?

I have saved tons of seed again from my Ipomea.
They are not the blue variety but are magenta in colour and are fairly
vigorous. If you want some drop me an email with your address and I'll
be happy to offload few !
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 29-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Pam Pam is offline
Registered User

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy
I have saved tons of seed again from my Ipomea.
They are not the blue variety but are magenta in colour and are fairly
vigorous. If you want some drop me an email with your address and I'll
be happy to offload few !
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk
Dear Janet, if you would really like to offload a few Ipomea seeds I would love them especially magenta. Have you tried variety 'Grandpa Oats' lovely deep purple with magenta star. My address 5 Velland Avenue,Torquay. TQ2 8LJ
Many Thanks
Pam
Old 30-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Pam
writes

Janet Tweedy Wrote:
I have saved tons of seed again from my Ipomea.
They are not the blue variety but are magenta in colour and are fairly
vigorous. If you want some drop me an email with your address and I'll
be happy to offload few !
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
http://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Dear Janet, if you would really like to offload a few Ipomea seeds I
would love them especially magenta. Have you tried variety 'Grandpa
Oats' lovely deep purple with magenta star. My address 5 Velland
Avenue,Torquay. TQ2 8LJ
Many Thanks
Pam

--
Pam

I'm not very happy that this email appeared on gardenbanter, I've had
several people email me, all of whom are probably very nice people but
several months late and not the people I originally made my offer to!

Besides which it is now far too late in the year to sow the seeds!

Other UKREC gardening members are warned!
janet
Old 30-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam
Dear Janet, if you would really like to offload a few Ipomea seeds I would love them especially magenta. Have you tried variety 'Grandpa Oats' lovely deep purple with magenta star. My address 5 Velland Avenue,Torquay. TQ2 8LJ
Many Thanks
Pam

Interested but what is Ipomea?
Old 31-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Kay

In article , michael adams
writes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

I'm not very happy that this email appeared on gardenbanter, I've had
several people email me, all of whom are probably very nice people but
several months late and not the people I originally made my offer to!

Besides which it is now far too late in the year to sow the seeds!

Other UKREC gardening members are warned!

When posting such offers on Usenet - especially ones which may end
up on message boards or in archives, it's probably a good idea to
include the date, not forgetting to include the Year, both at the
top of the post and within the message body, so it won't get
inadvertantly snipped. Along with an acceptable timescale for
replies. All the more so, if the message includes a straightforward
email address. It's not unknown for new posters on NewsGroups to
post answers to questions from two or three years back, which they've only
just come across in the archive. Being totally oblivious to the time
that's elapsed in between. The same can apply with websites. People
sometimes assume that all websites are updated on a regular basis,
more especially ones which aren't dated in any way.

Very irritating to have to go through all this palaver to avoid
confusion caused by a site which one is not subscribing to and has no
interest in.
--
Kay

Old 31-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Kay

In article , JohnOGroats
writes

Interested but what is Ipomea?

It's in the same family as bindweed.
--
Kay

Old 31-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Registered User

Location: sarf west London
Unhappy

I'm glad I didn't apply for some seeds then..!!

I was about to request a few seeds, but didn't know what they were, so hesitated. Also I couldn't find any contact details and I wasn't going to put my email address in a post. Big No No. Glad I did wait..!! I had no idea that this (out-of-date) offer came from outside GardenBanter. I didn't know that folk from "usenet poster" popped in here. I don't understand why - it seems they don't wish to be part of GardenBanter.

Perhaps GardenBanter is something other than what it appears to be, and I should reconsider my involvement here...
Old 31-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from dotCompost contains these words:

I had
no idea that this (out-of-date) offer came from outside GardenBanter. I
didn't know that folk from "usenet poster" popped in here. I don't
understand why - it seems they don't wish to be part of GardenBanter.

Usenet posters don't "pop in" to gardenbanter, or wish to be part of
it. Gardenbanter steals usenet posts from usenet, reproduces them with
the sender's usenet address cut off (that's why you couldn't respond
direct to the seed offerer) and allows its own rather dim gardenbanter
members to think they are using a garden forum set up and run by
gardenbanter.

Perhaps GardenBanter is something other than what it appears to be, and
I should reconsider my involvement here...

Well, you got that bit right.

You imagine, don't you, that you posted the above message on a website
called gardenbanter. That this is a forum about gardening, run by
gardenbanter for its members. You're wrong.

Gardenbanter forwarded your message to another, completely different,
independent section of the internet called usenet, to a gardening
discussion group called uk.rec.gardening over which gardenbanter
excercises no control. Apparently, without your knowledge or consent.

Gardenbanter will then pick up my message from usenet, strip off my
contact address and usenet details, and repost it on their own crappy
website to make its members think I posted it on gardenbanter.

Janet
Old 31-08-2005, 07:24 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from martin contains these words:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:40:08 +0000, dotCompost
wrote:

I'm glad I didn't apply for some seeds then..!!

I was about to request a few seeds, but didn't know what they were, so
hesitated. Also I couldn't find any contact details and I wasn't going
to put my email address in a post. Big No No. Glad I did wait..!! I had
no idea that this (out-of-date) offer came from outside GardenBanter. I
didn't know that folk from "usenet poster" popped in here.

We don't. Garden Banter rips off uk.rec.gardening posts

I don't
understand why - it seems they don't wish to be part of GardenBanter.

I don't want to be part of Garden Banter or have my posts appear on
Garden Banter.

OOPS..

Perhaps GardenBanter is something other than what it appears to be,

It is!!!

and
I should reconsider my involvement here...

Maybe all Garden Banter members should know that their posts to Garden
Banter are copied all over the world. Maybe Garden Banter should stop
copying stuff from uk.rec.gardening newsgroup to Garden Banter without
the posters' permission.

Any poster to urg who wishes, can prevent their posts appearing on
gardenbanter by adding the preface x-no-archive-yes. Most newsreaders
can be set to do this automatically.

Of course, that means gardenbanter-readers only see a small part of
each discussion, as well as only part of each usenet post..and that's
before gardenbanter deletes all usenet posts it doesn't want its members
to see.

You really should get yourselves a proper newsreader, gardenbanterers.
You're being sold short by gardenbanter.

Janet.

Old 01-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , michael adams
writes

When posting such offers on Usenet - especially ones which may end
up on message boards or in archives,

Archives don't worry me as the messages are all dated anyway, and I was
unaware at the time that another newsgroups was going to take messages
from UKrec and stick them up on another board that I've never heard of
until recently!

Old 01-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

Very irritating to have to go through all this palaver to avoid
confusion caused by a site which one is not subscribing to and has no
interest in.

And I feel sorry for those people who aren't aware that they aren't
reading items from contributors to what they see as a stand alone group!
Does Gradenbanter have so few contributors that it has to keep taking
stuff from our archives? How far back will it go?

Janet
Old 01-09-2005, 10:53 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , Kay
writes

Old 01-09-2005, 10:56 PM
Janet Tweedy

In article , dotCompost
writes

I'm glad I didn't apply for some seeds then..!!

I was about to request a few seeds, but didn't know what they were, so
hesitated. Also I couldn't find any contact details and I wasn't going
to put my email address in a post. Big No No. Glad I did wait..!! I had
no idea that this (out-of-date) offer came from outside GardenBanter. I
didn't know that folk from "usenet poster" popped in here. I don't
understand why - it seems they don't wish to be part of GardenBanter.

Perhaps GardenBanter is something other than what it appears to be, and
I should reconsider my involvement here...

I did not pop into gardenbanter, they lifted my message from the UKrec
newsgroup without asking and without a reference to it.

Janet

p.s. Ipomea is also called Morning Glory and whilst it is part of the
bindweed family the Morning Glory plants are annuals only and are quite
attractive but I'm growing scarlet/magenta ones this year (double
flowers too!)

janet
Old 02-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Kay

Pig!
I was being evil to the guy who said 'yes please I'm interested - what
is it' - and now you've blown it!
;-)

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Janet

p.s. Ipomea is also called Morning Glory and whilst it is part of the bindweed
family the Morning Glory plants are annuals only

--
Kay

Anyone want some free koi? Bill O'Meally Ponds (moderated) 4 16-10-2012 09:02 AM
anyone want some liriope ? Kevin Van Sant North Carolina 0 14-09-2007 11:09 PM
Ipomea Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 21 03-03-2007 12:51 PM
Anyone want some anachris? Ross Vandegrift Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 16-03-2005 05:45 PM
Thunbergia/Ipomea good bed-mates? RichardS United Kingdom 2 30-05-2004 12:14 AM