Old 07-11-2002, 04:44 PM
Auds Hartley

Default Pampas grass

Our problem is how to avoid the fronds falling over. When they are in full
display, in July, they are OK until the first rain and then they all fall to
the ground and that's the end because they are either broken or weakened.
Tieing them up looks awful and the whole bundle tends to lean one way or the
other. This is a mature plant that was in the house when we bought it six
years ago.
Others in the neighbourhood do not seem to suffer this way. Is it just a
duff plant or are we not maintaining it correctly? We cut it back as short
as possible in March but we have not tried burning the base as some people
do. Would that make a difference?

Brian

Old 07-11-2002, 08:14 PM
DaveDay34

Our problem is how to avoid the fronds falling over. When they are in full
display, in July, they are OK until the first rain and then they all fall to
the ground and that's the end because they are either broken or weakened.
Tieing them up looks awful and the whole bundle tends to lean one way or the
other. This is a mature plant that was in the house when we bought it six
years ago.
Others in the neighbourhood do not seem to suffer this way. Is it just a
duff plant or are we not maintaining it correctly? We cut it back as short
as possible in March but we have not tried burning the base as some people
do. Would that make a difference?

Brian

You could try tying in the fronds to long thin canes to prevent them from
getting broken. At a distance I'm sure the canes wouldn't show.

Dave.

Is pampas grass possible in NE facing garden? Louise United Kingdom 2 07-03-2003 07:49 AM
Pampas grass what do we do with it? code_wrong United Kingdom 6 04-03-2003 10:36 PM
Can Pampas Grass cuttings be put in compost? [email protected] United Kingdom 1 03-03-2003 09:10 AM
Pampas Grass Michael United Kingdom 2 29-11-2002 11:53 PM
Pampas Grass Barry Watts United Kingdom 3 08-11-2002 12:27 PM