GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   So , this three cornered leek/garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/87359-so-three-cornered-leek-garlic.html)

mich 05-12-2004 06:12 PM

So , this three cornered leek/garlic

that is totally rampant in Cornwall , and in my Cornwall /Devon boarders
garden .

Is it edible?

I have been trying for six years to eradicate it. Maybe eating it is the
answer?

Chris Hogg 10-12-2004 06:02 PM

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 18:12:26 -0000, "mich" wrote:

that is totally rampant in Cornwall , and in my Cornwall /Devon boarders
garden .

Is it edible?

I have been trying for six years to eradicate it. Maybe eating it is the
answer?

Allium triquetrum, garlic down here in the South West, but not the
wild garlic as others further north know it (their's is allium
ursinum, aka Ramsons, all the rage in trendy restaurants, I believe).
Never tried eating it although there's plenty in our garden. Don't see
why you shouldn't though.

Like you, I've been trying to get rid of it for years. In paths, walls
etc. I spray it a couple of times a year with glyphosate, and that's
slowly knocking it back. In flower beds, I dig it out. Now is a good
time to start, as it's just coming into growth. First, carefully dig
out the marble-sized bulbs, doing your best to get out most of the
match-head sized ones out as well. Then wait a month or so and have
another go; by this time any bulblets will have started to shoot and
are easier to spot. A month after that, look the patch over again and
remove any more bulblets that have appeared. Repeat as necessary. Then
there are the seedlings.......

Do it patch by patch, rather than all at one time. It does yield
eventually.

--
Chris