Old 10-11-2002, 02:59 AM
Donna

Default What flower is this?

Hello,

I'm trying to identify this plant/flower for a master gardener friend's
daughter. Anyone have any ideas? If you don't want to look at my site to
see the flower, let me know and I'll email it to you.

http://www.croakerwoods.com/flowers.html

Thanks in advance

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donna

Old 10-11-2002, 03:48 AM
Anne Jackson

The message
from Donna contains these words:

Hello,

I'm trying to identify this plant/flower for a master gardener friend's
daughter. Anyone have any ideas? If you don't want to look at my site to
see the flower, let me know and I'll email it to you.

http://www.croakerwoods.com/flowers.html

Looks to me like the seedheads of Hypericum.

--
Anne _
)/___

Old 10-11-2002, 06:58 AM
Leona Henderson

Donna wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to identify this plant/flower for a master gardener friend's
daughter. Anyone have any ideas? If you don't want to look at my site to
see the flower, let me know and I'll email it to you.

http://www.croakerwoods.com/flowers.html

Thanks in advance
\

Don't know what they are but they surely are unsual (to me ) and pretty and interesting. There are
those on this NG who may know, however. Good luck.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donna

--
nTX USDA Z 7B
Leona
Old 10-11-2002, 10:33 AM
Pat H. Johnston

Anne wroteLooks to me like the seedheads of Hypericum.

That would seem to be right Anne - I have found a rather revealing picture
at http://www.roselite.com/en/fillers.html where it doesn't leave much
doubt.

Pat

Old 10-11-2002, 12:57 PM
Sugarchile

These are two different plants, right? The second picture looks like Bells
of Ireland, with those distinctive green flower bracts. I don't know the
first one. Where do you live, and was the plant growing wild, or is it
cultivated?

Sue

Zone 6, south-central PA

. 6...

Old 10-11-2002, 01:44 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Donna wrote:

Hello,

I'm trying to identify this plant/flower for a master gardener friend's
daughter. Anyone have any ideas? If you don't want to look at my site to
see the flower, let me know and I'll email it to you.

http://www.croakerwoods.com/flowers.html

The top one, with the red round things, or the bottom one with
the green things with white things inside?

Do the red ones ever open?

The bottom one looks like Moluccella laevis, commonly called
"Bells of Ireland".

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both
Old 10-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Donna

On 10 Nov 2002, "Sugarchile" scribbled for
all to see in
hlink.net:

These are two different plants, right? The second picture looks like
Bells of Ireland, with those distinctive green flower bracts. I don't
know the first one. Where do you live, and was the plant growing
wild, or is it cultivated?

I was told it was the same plant, but it looks like two different ones for
me. A friend is a master gardener and his daughter gave him those photos,
said she saw the plant in a physician's office, and wondered what they
were. He was unable to identify them. I'm in Virginia, to answer the
where. I don't know about whether it was wild or cultivated.

Thanks!

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Donna

Old 10-11-2002, 02:34 PM
Pam

The first looks like the fruit produced by a Hypericum (aka St. John's Wort) -
they tend to develop colored fruit capsules layered with the green bracts.
There are many different species of hypericum, so not positive which species
this is, but the fruits are often used in fall arrangements. Here are a couple
of links to not great pics - the best I could find.
http://www.magic-flowers.com/images/hypericum.jpg
http://www.greenerydirect.com/plantexamples/D1-P08.jpg

pam - gardengal

Old 10-11-2002, 07:26 PM
Donna

Thanks so much for going to the trouble to find the pictures. I appreciate
everyone's help!

On 10 Nov 2002, Pam scribbled for all to see in
: