GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Mole deterrants (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8738-mole-deterrants.html)

tulip 10-11-2002 11:31 AM

Mole deterrants

Hi

I've seen a battery operated device that emits sound waves to deter moles.
Does anyone know whether they work or not? And before I get flamed for
sending moles onto other peoples land, they will actually just stay
(hopefully) out of my garden and go into my surrounding fields where they
can do as they please. Thanks for any advice.

Polly

---

Jane Ransom 10-11-2002 08:36 PM

Mole deterrants

In article , tulip
writes
Hi

I've seen a battery operated device that emits sound waves to deter moles.
Does anyone know whether they work or not? And before I get flamed for
sending moles onto other peoples land, they will actually just stay
(hopefully) out of my garden and go into my surrounding fields where they
can do as they please.

By doing that you are signing moley's death warrant anyway.
Farmers have no hesitation in setting mole traps.

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

[email protected] 10-11-2002 09:55 PM

Mole deterrants

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:31:19 -0000, "tulip" wrote:

Hi

I've seen a battery operated device that emits sound waves to deter moles.
Does anyone know whether they work or not?

I use these devices and find that they do work though with
limitations. This is that they need to be deployed before the moles
have established a too extensive network of runs.

And before I get flamed for
sending moles onto other peoples land,

The other people should not have given the moles access to your land
:-)))))))

SNIP

tulip 11-11-2002 11:14 AM

Mole deterrants

"Jane Ransom" wrote

By doing that you are signing moley's death warrant anyway.
Farmers have no hesitation in setting mole traps.

I am a farmer, of sheep. Like I said, I own the surrounding fields where
they would go to and they can do what they like there. I would like them
just to stay out of my garden area!!

Polly

---

tulip 11-11-2002 11:16 AM

Mole deterrants

wrote

I use these devices and find that they do work though with
limitations. This is that they need to be deployed before the moles
have established a too extensive network of runs.

Ooo, I best be quick then! Thanks.

And before I get flamed for
sending moles onto other peoples land,

The other people should not have given the moles access to your land
:-)))))))

LOL!!! :o)

Polly

---

Howard Neil 11-11-2002 04:49 PM

Mole deterrants

I am a farmer, of sheep. Like I said, I own the surrounding fields where
they would go to and they can do what they like there. I would like them
just to stay out of my garden area!!

Polly

I have the same situation. In my case, my two cats do the job for me. They
keep the garden and the nearest fields free from moles. The nearest mole
hills are about 500 yards away.

They also help with other small rodents (as do the Jack Russell and the
chickens). It seems that rodents don't have many friends. :-)

Regards

Howard Neil

BAC 11-11-2002 05:56 PM

Mole deterrants

"Howard Neil" h.neil@whichREMOVE TO REPLY.net wrote in message
I am a farmer, of sheep. Like I said, I own the surrounding fields

where
they would go to and they can do what they like there. I would like

them
just to stay out of my garden area!!

Polly

I have the same situation. In my case, my two cats do the job for me. They
keep the garden and the nearest fields free from moles. The nearest mole
hills are about 500 yards away.

They also help with other small rodents (as do the Jack Russell and the
chickens). It seems that rodents don't have many friends. :-)

True, but I don't think moles are rodents.

The Q 11-11-2002 07:17 PM

Mole deterrants

"tulip" wrote in message ...
wrote

I use these devices and find that they do work though with
limitations. This is that they need to be deployed before the moles
have established a too extensive network of runs.

Ooo, I best be quick then! Thanks.

And before I get flamed for
sending moles onto other peoples land,

The other people should not have given the moles access to your land
:-)))))))

LOL!!! :o)

Polly

If you are going to get one then get the solar powered version (I have
5 in a large garden ) it saves paying for batteries and they are
cheaper in the first place!!!

The Q

PS yes the have a rechargeable battery inside so they work all night
as well!

---

Sarah Dale 11-11-2002 08:36 PM

Mole deterrants

On Sun, 10 Nov 2002 11:31:19 +0000, tulip wrote:

I've seen a battery operated device that emits sound waves to deter moles.
Does anyone know whether they work or not? And before I get flamed for

Polly,

My neighbours invested in one, and it does appear to have done the trick.
One word of warning - when in their garden I can hear the noise it makes,
so you may find this annoying after a while - obviously depends on size of
garden and proximity.

Sarah

tulip 11-11-2002 11:43 PM

Mole deterrants

"Howard Neil" h.neil@whichREMOVE TO REPLY.net wrote

I have the same situation. In my case, my two cats do the job for me. They
keep the garden and the nearest fields free from moles. The nearest mole
hills are about 500 yards away.

They also help with other small rodents (as do the Jack Russell and the
chickens). It seems that rodents don't have many friends. :-)

One of our cats used to be very good at catching moles and would regularly
dump them in the yard!! However, she doesn't seem to bother now, which is
no good. She still catches mice, rats and birds though, so I can't complain
too much.

Polly

---

tulip 11-11-2002 11:44 PM

Mole deterrants

"The Q" wrote

If you are going to get one then get the solar powered version (I have
5 in a large garden ) it saves paying for batteries and they are
cheaper in the first place!!!

The Q

PS yes the have a rechargeable battery inside so they work all night
as well!

Thanks for this info :o)

Polly

---

tulip 11-11-2002 11:46 PM

Mole deterrants

"Sarah Dale" wrote

My neighbours invested in one, and it does appear to have done the trick.
One word of warning - when in their garden I can hear the noise it makes,
so you may find this annoying after a while - obviously depends on size of
garden and proximity.

Wow, I didn't realise it would be that loud. I thought it would be very
quiet and only heard through the ground. Mind you, I don't think it would
bother me as it wouldn't be too close to the house. Thanks for the info.

Polly

---

DaveDay34 12-11-2002 07:32 PM

Mole deterrants

The cheapest mole repellant I've heard of it one of those little fancy windmill
things that children play with. Just stick it in the ground and the moles
should flee.......allegedly.

Dave.

Sarah Dale 12-11-2002 10:18 PM

Mole deterrants

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002 23:46:55 +0000, tulip wrote:

"Sarah Dale" wrote

My neighbours invested in one, and it does appear to have done the trick.
One word of warning - when in their garden I can hear the noise it makes,
so you may find this annoying after a while - obviously depends on size of
garden and proximity.

Wow, I didn't realise it would be that loud. I thought it would be very
quiet and only heard through the ground. Mind you, I don't think it would
bother me as it wouldn't be too close to the house. Thanks for the info.

Polly,

Whilst I can hear it when I am in their garden - it is not loud. Its a
quiet background noise that gets irritating because it is repetative. It
may also depend on your hearing range ;)

Hmm.... I supose I can hear it from approx 3 - 6 ft distance, you wouldn't
notice it further away than that, and definatley not in the house.

Sarah