GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fatsia from seed? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/8739-fatsia-seed.html)

Chris Webb 10-11-2002 12:09 PM

Fatsia from seed?

My Fatsia Japonicas have produced their rather odd "flowers" at last.
Is it worth collecting the seed, and what's the best way to propagate them?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.
--
Chris Webb

DaveDay34 11-11-2002 07:30 PM

Fatsia from seed?

Subject: Fatsia from seed?
From: "Chris Webb"
Date: 10/11/2002 12:09 GMT Standard Time
My Fatsia Japonicas have produced their rather odd "flowers" at last.
Is it worth collecting the seed, and what's the best way to propagate them?
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks.

Fatsia can be propagated from seed in autumn os spring, so I'm not sure if it's
a little late, but maybe if the seeds mature and you collect them to sow in
spring they'll be OK.

You can also propagate from semi-ripe cuttings at any time of year. Bottom
heat of 15-20 degrees centigrade helps rooting.

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Chris Webb 12-11-2002 06:00 PM

Fatsia from seed?

Thanks for the advice Dave. I'll collect some seed and give it a try in the
spring.

--
Chris Webb