Old 07-12-2004, 06:50 PM
John DH

Default freak Pieris

Hello,

I have a mature Pieris, which has suddenly sprouted a single shoot which
looks like a rhododendron. What could be causing this? all the other new
growths are normal. Should I remove it and is it worth propagating?

I have not seen this before, pictures are here www.hydrogene.co.uk/plants

Thanks

Caroline

Old 07-12-2004, 08:37 PM
annet planten

"John DH" schreef:

Hello,

I have a mature Pieris, which has suddenly sprouted a single shoot which
looks like a rhododendron. What could be causing this? all the other new
growths are normal. Should I remove it and is it worth propagating?

I have not seen this before, pictures are here www.hydrogene.co.uk/plants

Funny!
Pieris belongs to the Ericaceae = the Heath Family, which includes
Rhododendron. So one gene from a farawayaunt must have popped up. It
happens, if seldom, in cultivated plants.

If the thing grew in my garden, I would let it on till next spring, to
let it bloom (I saw a bud there). Maybe I would like the colour ;-)

regards, Annet
Old 08-12-2004, 02:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DH
Hello,

I have a mature Pieris, which has suddenly sprouted a single shoot which
looks like a rhododendron. What could be causing this? all the other new
growths are normal. Should I remove it and is it worth propagating?
what beautiful photos !!! i suspected before viewing that your Pieris might be variagated ( white stripes in foliage )...your pictures confirm this and point to the shoot being what is called " reversion " back to plain green leaves. These leaves are always more vigourous due to more chlorophyl and if not removed can take over the shrub spoiling the variagated effect you paid for in the first place .
once again nice pics and btw my very first post on this or any garden group !
Old 08-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , John DH nospammJohn@celt
icgods.co.uknospamm writes
Hello,

I have a mature Pieris, which has suddenly sprouted a single shoot which
looks like a rhododendron. What could be causing this? all the other new
growths are normal. Should I remove it and is it worth propagating?

I have not seen this before, pictures are here www.hydrogene.co.uk/plants

Rhododendron and Pieris are not particularly closely related - they
belong to the same family (Ericaceae), but different subfamilies
(Rhododendroideae and Vaccinioideae). A Rhododendron-like sport on a
Pieris would be 'surprising'.

Are you sure that the plant isn't a variegated Rhododendron? (There's a
variegated form of Rhododendron ponticum, and I wouldn't be surprised if
there weren't others.) The bud on the 'sport' definitely looks like a
Rhododendron bud, but the buds on the parent plant, while not so clear,
also look like Rhododendron buds - the inflorescence of Pieris takes a
different form, and you can tell the difference by this time of year.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-12-2004, 08:22 AM
jane

~
[...]

I tend to agree with this question - at this time of year you should
have lots of little pendant buds appearing on a pieris, whereas a
rhodie should have a whorl of leaves with a big bud in the centre with
the new season's flowers. This really doesn't look like my pieris, but
does look like my rhodie!
How long have you had it, and have you seen it flower? If yes to the
latter, when did it flower and what did it look like?

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 11-12-2004, 08:38 PM
Caroline

This really doesn't look like my pieris, but
does look like my rhodie!
How long have you had it, and have you seen it flower? If yes to the
latter, when did it flower and what did it look like?

--
jane

It is a rhodie! we have only lived here for 10 weeks, the stress of moving
must have rocked my brain cells.

--
Regards

Caroline