Old 10-11-2002, 10:46 PM
Robert cubitt

Default Beer dreams

Hi
Where can I get:
1. Hops
2. My well water tested?

er, how do you grow hops anyway?

Yrs
Blob
Old 11-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Donegal Paul

You should be able to purchase hops in any good brewery store, I know ours
here in Bedford sells them.

--
Paul Canning
Support your NHS by supporting yourNHS @ www.yournhs.org.uk

Old 11-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Robert cubitt" wrote in message
Hi
Where can I get:
1. Hops
2. My well water tested?

er, how do you grow hops anyway?

Yrs
Blob

You need a named hop form if you want to grow them for brewing (not the
golden hop, it produces hops but not enough) I have heard "Fuggle" is OK.
and you need to find out whether its a variety best fertilized or not, as
hops are either male or female.

My local Enviomental health dept came out and tested the well for me , its
free where I live!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 11-11-2002, 02:51 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| You need a named hop form if you want to grow them for brewing (not the
| golden hop, it produces hops but not enough) I have heard "Fuggle" is OK.
| and you need to find out whether its a variety best fertilized or not, as
| hops are either male or female.

Not critically - the wild form produces enough hops! You may want
to use a named form, but there is no requirement, and using your
own strain adds individuality :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679
Old 20-11-2002, 03:25 PM
Druss

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Robert cubitt" wrote in message
Hi
Where can I get:
1. Hops
2. My well water tested?

er, how do you grow hops anyway?

Yrs
Blob

You need a named hop form if you want to grow them for brewing (not the
golden hop, it produces hops but not enough) I have heard "Fuggle" is OK.
and you need to find out whether its a variety best fertilized or not, as
hops are either male or female.

My local Enviomental health dept came out and tested the well for me , its
free where I live!

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

I understood that it was illegal to grow male hops in this country, since if
they fertilise the commercial varieties it would ruin their flavour, or some
such. Could be wrong, could be old wives tale, could be confused, beer
(after all) good !!!
Duncan

Old 20-11-2002, 08:50 PM
The Q

snip
I understood that it was illegal to grow male hops in this country, since if
they fertilise the commercial varieties it would ruin their flavour, or some
such. Could be wrong, could be old wives tale, could be confused, beer
(after all) good !!!
Duncan

I have wild hops growing in my garden hedgerow, (well the house is on
the site of the old village pub of 100years + ago) but I know that in
some places hops are growing wild along the Norfolk broads so male and
female must be freely breeding.

The Q

Slugs and beer Lemmonie United Kingdom 13 05-07-2004 04:06 PM
Crickets like beer and slugs seek revenge Heidi Gardening 25 25-08-2003 05:22 AM
Beer and Soap for the lawn u deserve a bud Gardening 5 22-08-2003 09:02 AM
Slugs and beer! Buzzy Gardening 16 11-06-2003 02:56 PM
Which beer in the slugtrap ? HaaRoy United Kingdom 11 13-01-2003 09:32 PM