Old 11-11-2002, 06:09 PM
Janet Sanderson

Default Gardening or Equestrian?

Finished my new garden but have a bit of a problem......
see www.thornton-le-dale.info/carpark.htm

I planted prickly stuff in reach of the horse incase she was
tempted to eat plants, and my prize plant costing £35 black
bamboo just out of her reach. ( I know £38 in the local G.C)

So the first day she turned into a panda X giraffe stretched her neck
and pulled up the bamboo (funny how they always get the
expensive stuff first). and now she is eating the prickly holly.
She can't reach it from her stable, but I let her out to roam on
the concrete area infront of it. I don't want to keep her in her
stable all the time, but would like my plants to grow.

Any Ideas?

Janet

--
Janet Sanderson
http://www.walnutworks.co.uk

Old 11-11-2002, 08:09 PM
JennyC

"Janet Sanderson" wrote in message
Finished my new garden but have a bit of a problem......
see www.thornton-le-dale.info/carpark.htm

I planted prickly stuff in reach of the horse incase she was
tempted to eat plants, and my prize plant costing £35 black
bamboo just out of her reach. ( I know £38 in the local G.C)

So the first day she turned into a panda X giraffe stretched her

neck
and pulled up the bamboo (funny how they always get the
expensive stuff first). and now she is eating the prickly holly.
She can't reach it from her stable, but I let her out to roam on
the concrete area infront of it. I don't want to keep her in her
stable all the time, but would like my plants to grow.
Any Ideas?
Janet

You could perhaps tether her like gypsies do along the wayside ??
Jenny

Old 11-11-2002, 09:55 PM
Janet Sanderson

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Janet Sanderson" wrote in message

You could perhaps tether her like gypsies do along the wayside ??
Jenny

Well that's a little better than the last gardener I spoke to
regarding the problem, he told me to dig a big hole,
shoot the horse and bury her in it!

Just hope holly isn't poisonous

Janet

Old 11-11-2002, 11:00 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Janet Sanderson" contains these words:

Just hope holly isn't poisonous

It isn't, but ime grazers usually only eat it as a winter last resort
when they are very hungry. Could you be underfeeding the horse while she
is stabled?

Janet

Old 12-11-2002, 08:32 AM
Janet Sanderson

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "Janet Sanderson" contains these words:

Could you be underfeeding the horse while she
is stabled?

Thanks, but no, she is just greedy!
she even has one of those footballs with feed in to play with.

She doesn't eat the Berberis though - probably
just too prickly

Janet

Old 12-11-2002, 03:24 PM
Simon Avery

"Janet Sanderson" wrote:

Hello Janet

JS I planted prickly stuff in reach of the horse incase she was
JS tempted to eat plants, and my prize plant costing £35 black
JS bamboo just out of her reach. ( I know £38 in the local G.C)

JS So the first day she turned into a panda X giraffe stretched
JS her neck and pulled up the bamboo (funny how they always get
JS the expensive stuff first). and now she is eating the
JS prickly holly. She can't reach it from her stable, but I let
JS her out to roam on the concrete area infront of it. I don't
JS want to keep her in her stable all the time, but would like
JS my plants to grow.

JS Any Ideas?

Yes. Electric fencing strung off the existing fencing. We do it as a
matter of course for all our post and rail simply because it stops
them rubbing and breaking it.

I did some stuff about this at;
http://www.mareandfoal.org/articles/Fencing.html

uk.rec.equestrian might also have some more ideas.

Old 12-11-2002, 03:25 PM
p_rone

Janet Sanderson wrote:

Finished my new garden but have a bit of a problem......
see www.thornton-le-dale.info/carpark.htm

I planted prickly stuff in reach of the horse incase she was
tempted to eat plants, and my prize plant costing =A335 black
bamboo just out of her reach. ( I know =A338 in the local G.C)

So the first day she turned into a panda X giraffe stretched her

neck
and pulled up the bamboo (funny how they always get the
expensive stuff first). and now she is eating the prickly holly.
She can't reach it from her stable, but I let her out to roam on
the concrete area infront of it. I don't want to keep her in her
stable all the time, but would like my plants to grow.

Any Ideas?

You might consider using an ordinary agricultural
electric fence. This might be sufficient for "training",
so it wouldn't need to be on all the time. You might
consider a warning notice, too, if people are going to
be traipsing about all over the place! As you're where
you are, you might be able to borrow one to try.

Get your own evilemail.com address at http://www.evilemail.com