Old 11-11-2002, 09:52 PM
Alison

Default Coral Spot

Help we're plagued with coral spot - tiny little orange dots on anything
that's wood. If I've spied it on a living plant then I've pruned back to
sound wood but how can I get rid of it from every other woody surface. It's
on scraps of wood fallen from the old sycamore, the steps, the summer house,
the compost bins (this is particularly worrying me as I'm afraid it will
live in the compost and get spread back next spring ). Does anyone know
anything about it or how to get rid of it?

TIA
--A

Old 12-11-2002, 07:20 PM
Rod

"Alison" o.uk wrote in
message ...
Help we're plagued with coral spot - tiny little orange dots on anything
that's wood. If I've spied it on a living plant then I've pruned back to
sound wood but how can I get rid of it from every other woody surface.

It's
on scraps of wood fallen from the old sycamore, the steps, the summer

house,
the compost bins (this is particularly worrying me as I'm afraid it will
live in the compost and get spread back next spring ). Does anyone know
anything about it or how to get rid of it?

TIA
--A

Don't let it worry you too much. It's ubiquitous so the spores will always
be around whatever you do. On living plants it is usually only on dead or
diseased wood anyway so just cut it off. It's going to be on fallen wood and
rotting woody material whatever you do and is part of the process of turning
the stuff into compost - use scrap wood - old pallets etc for your compost
bins and then you needn't worry about them becoming part of the compost.
Your summer house and steps need some sort of treatment which may be
determined by your attitude to the environmental implications of certain
preservatives. There's been threads on here and lottsa stuff on the internet
about preservatives. Attention to things like rainwater guttering may keep
things a bit drier and less welcoming to fungi.

Rod